idle current too high - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 18:32   #1 (permalink)

idle current too high

My battery has been going flat very quickly lately. I checked the idle current with all accessories off and it is at 800mA which is way too high. It might be the after market head unit not switching off completely so I will check that soon, but does anyone have any other possible reasons of why it is so high?

Cheers
crazy_german is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 18:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: idle current too high

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_german
My battery has been going flat very quickly lately. I checked the idle current with all accessories off and it is at 800mA which is way too high. It might be the after market head unit not switching off completely so I will check that soon, but does anyone have any other possible reasons of why it is so high?

Cheers
Place a current measuring device in line with the battery and then pull fuses untill you find it.. DONOT start the car untill you remove the meter :)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 19:06   #3 (permalink)

Common and very annoying contrbutor to this - check the boot light!! You normally can't determine if it stays on or not. Get the kid (or girlfriend) and temporarily lock them in the boot to see if the light stays on. Could be the boot light switch gone on the fritz. I've seen batteries replaced more than one in the same car because of this. A 12 volt 6 watt globe will draw about 500 mA (a 10 watt is in fact about 800). Allow a few more mA for alarm systems etc. and you're up round you figure of 800mA. Go and check.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 18:49   #4 (permalink)

Cheers Fordboy that sounds like it could be the problem. I'll check it and get back to you.
crazy_german is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons