Mini Spools????????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 16:39   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Mini Spools?????????

okay i have no idea what a mini spool is or what they do all i know is that they go inside the diff,is it worth putting one in????Can you guys and girls to me what the hell they are and do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 02:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mini Spools?????????

A mini spool replaces some of the internal parts of the differential and locks the left and right axles together. Great for accelerating in a straight line, but sometimes you have to turn corners. Now it gets interesting, as the inside wheel has to turn slower than the outside wheel but it can't because the axles are locked. So either the inside wheels skips and spins on the road or the axle twists and breaks. FUN. Oh and then theres the problem of the car wanting to go straight instead of going around corners which can keep you on your toes.
Having said all this, I have driven my mates 560HP XY ute with a spooled 9inch and it is easy to get used to. With a big tall tyre (275/60x15) and 31 spline billet axles ($$$) it seems to handle it okay.
Not recommended for a daily driven street car.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 14:24   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Find a cheap LSD centre and fit that up mate :D Both tyres will light up, AND it will let your car turn corners with ease!

Source a 3.08/3.23/3.27/3.45 LSD. If 3.45 LSD, you might as well swap the whole diff as it's easier to swap the lot rather than fiddle with the guts.

Well, swapping the guts *can* be easier, if you get it right first go that is! Through a stroke of luck a mate & myself fitted up his diff & it was perfect first go (backlash/whining/vibration were all fine).

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Pacemaker PH4000 extractors
Meaty semi-twin system
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 14:45   #4 (permalink)

I was always under the impression that a mini-spool was like a LSD, but for more severe duty, mostly drag strip, but not as severe as a locker diff.

I had the 3.08 open wheeler in my falcon replaced with a 3.08 LSD and it rips now. Hard to keep the beast pointing in a straight line in the wet, but in the dry I can make a 90 degree turn out of a side street with my foot on the floor and it goes where you are pointing with hardly a squeak from the inside wheel now.
CraigS288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons