Need Advice On El Xr6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 16:30   #1 (permalink)
ELXR6_ROLLA

Need Advice On El Xr6

hi all, the vehicle sits at standard hight but will be getting lowered next week.
i have the 16" EL XR8 rims.
1 1/2 " at the front & 2 1/2 " at the rear.
i need to no whether to put a camber kit on the front??
some people say yes, some people say no...
any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.
cheers.
ELXR6_ROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 16:43   #2 (permalink)
Conan

Re: Need Advice On El Xr6

You do not have to put one on, but the improvement in steering response is quite noticable.
Old 10-19-2005, 22:34   #3 (permalink)
Xr6red

On my EL XR 6, I had upper and lower bushes and the steering rack replaced recently, and it was recommended at the time to install an camber kit. Reason being, that no matter how many times i had the wheel alignment done i found that the inside tread, use to wear ever so slightly more than the rest of the tyres... after checking with a few tyre places, i found that this apparently is a common problem with EL's....money well spent i say...
16" Tickford Wheels,
Full Pedders Sports Rider Suspension,
Pacemaker Headers with 2.5" cat back exhaust,
DBA Slotted Rotors w/ Bendix Ultimate pads,
Camber Kit fitted.
xr6red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
ELXR6_ROLLA

cheers xr6red
ELXR6_ROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:15   #5 (permalink)

A camber kit is money well spent.
esp given you are going to drop the thing on the deck.
this alters the camber to start with, so a wheel alignment to start with, so an aling is required.

I cannot recall if the EL has a factory camber adjustment on the Lower control arm (been a while since i did one), but if your drop is substantial, and you have bent/worn componants (ball joints, control arms) your alignment guy may run out of adjustment. Fitting a camber kit will give your aligner plenty of scope to get it right.

I have fitted one to my almost stock EB, as i found my driving style scrubbed out the outside of the tyres. I actually run some extra camber now to deal with this. (sorry guys my measurements are secret) My alignment guy and i spent a lot of time to develop my suspension geometry.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42   #6 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

I went "dodgy backyard stylez" with my EB.

A mate & I swapped my stock springs for a set of superlows off an EA (6 cyl springs, but I've got a V8). Needless to say the front is *pretty* low.

Anyhoo, my only concerns are:

1) the tyres scrubbing the guards in certain situations, such as full-lock in a carpark.

2) standard ride height shocks are rooted now (I was anticipating this). Get shocks that suit the springs. When my shocks were still ok, their "bump" was nice & firm but the rebound would overcompensate & feel like I was getting air. If you're wondering why I didn't get shocks that suited, my shocks were getting on in age/kms so I figured I'd drive until they were killed & get my money's worth

3) on deceleration in say 2nd from 45 and below, I can experience a slight vibration/shudder while travelling in a straight line. Any thottle or turning fixes this problem. I was suspecting the toe (?) of the wheels to be not parallel because of this, but there doesn't appear to be any uneven wear. Same goes with camber, due to no evidence of uneven wear.

I've had my superlows on the car for about 10,000kms now, and my only complaint about them really is certain speed humps in the uni carpark lol, I can live with the crappy ride quality because some replacement shocks would fix that up!

For now I'll bounce around like a homie-spec VN pilot

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons