New Ride Time...EF/EL XR6...Opinions/Tech Feedback Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 21:29   #1 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

New Ride Time...EF/EL XR6...Opinions/Tech Feedback Please

Hey All,

Well the XF is well and truly tired, and with rego coming up its time to let it go, been thinking about a EF/EL XR6. Seem to be a good buy these days, any niggly problems i should look out for?. I know the head gasket can go if the cooling system isint looked after, and the 4 speed auto can play up, but what about the other electrics etc??...Owners...what experiences have you had?

Any Feedback Appreciated

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

Re: New Ride Time...EF/EL XR6...Opinions/Tech Feedback Please

No problems other than the obvious.. The office lady at the Repco I used to work at had an EF XR6 manual for about a year. I always used to service it for her and she used to let me take it out at weekends etc. Awesome to drive although lots of driveline shunt with the T5. They go hard and sound good even standard. A nice set of extractors and they sound primo! try and get a manual unless your really hung up on the auto!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:43   #3 (permalink)

I have had mine for 3 years now and havnt had a problem with it. It is an xr6 manual EL. The manual is great, And with my cat back exhaust it sounds great.
And the ood news is that i am selling it, its time for a BA.
PM if you want any details.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:55   #4 (permalink)

My EF XR6 Man is a whole lot of fun, and yeah... the head gaskets do go.
Mines currently parked in the garage getting fixed.

They're a very comfy big car thats not afraid of work.
Good on fuel too.
I reguarly get 600+ k's from my tank and on a recent trip back from Canbra, I saw 753KM from 68 Litres. not bad for a car thats done 228,000km and will still pull a 15.5

Case
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 18:53   #5 (permalink)

im rebuilding an EF XR6 ex cop car from the ground up at the moment (just panel damage to go now) after some fool ran a red light and wrote off my EF Gli with XR6 engine in it. 5spd in each of but the XR6 box feels tighter and stronger than standard and the 3.45 LSD helps heaps to. Only ever done one head gasket just keep an eye on your water pump, thermostat (3 times) and power steering pump seem to pack up after bout 150,000 other than that great car and easy as to work on yaself
EFECTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:24   #6 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I had a manual EF XR6 for 4 years, great car but they do have problems.

Aircon is flakey, the evaporator can leak which is a big job to replace, about $700 or so, compressors run hot on these models and fail, you have no choice but to replace them due to the serpentine belt drive neither, nearly a $1K job. When looking at them, operate the A/C, make sure its working well and listen closely to the compressor, any odd noises or rumbling could be the end.

The fresh/recirc vacuum motor will almost certainly have a broken rod, dash off job to fix, but not a big problem and not worth fixing.

Clunky LSD's, this is usually an easy fit with the addition of a friction modifier.

Clutch stuff -

Pedal swings from a post thats held into the main pedel box by about 3 spot welds, these break and its a big job to fix, although I know a shortcut :) look up under the dash, find the pin and ensure its sitting squarely, if not its on the way out.

The firewall can crack where the clutch cable passes through, this ones hard to see as the firewall is covered in sound deadening, ensure the clutch operation is firm, a 'spongy' clutch pedal could mean a flexing (cracked) firewall. It can be welded up reasonably cheaply.

Look at the service records, its highly important to look after the cooling system in these engines, and as EFECTV said, the water pumps are sometimes dodgy. Look at all the hose joints, the metal underneath swells (esp the thermostat housing upper hose joint) if the coolant is not kept up to scratch.

Check for smooth power window operation, if you can when its raining as they have to work harder. Any grinding and/or scratching noises indicates a partially broken cable which can be fixed if your handy, otherwise a new PW kit is around $350 iirc?
If the windows are slow or momentarily stop, spraying silicon in the track usually solves it.

I've seen rust where the rear spoiler bolts pass thru the boot lid but its rare.

Oh, definately get a manual, they are much better than an auto :)
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons