No Key EB11 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 00:48   #1 (permalink)

No Key EB11

bought an EB2 (11/92) at auction but it dont have the key.

No idea if it has smartlock or not?

what can I do to get around this problem?

If it is smartlocked, can I just change the locks to pre-smartlock locks?

If it is smartlock what do I do?
gogetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: No Key EB11

1st post and auction hey.

Talk to Ford is about all you can do.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:21   #3 (permalink)
BLitzer - Bitzer

you could always take the lock out, bring it to a Locksmith and they can make up a key (but it's pricy )
Old 08-03-2004, 05:41   #4 (permalink)

I thought (assumed) that the car would come with a key!!!

Yeah a ford wrecker told me I can get a key cut, but doesnt the key have a chip in it?

isnt it some weird type of key...
Old 08-03-2004, 06:04   #5 (permalink)
ned
Freedom Drifterâ„¢

u buy a car that u can't even start or open doors to? wats the world coming to these days! lol

Latest Mod: 3.27 LSD!
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:29   #6 (permalink)

does anyone know a site which has basic smartlock info?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:30   #7 (permalink)

Smartlock was fitted from 10/92, so yes, yours is a Smartlock car. But the Tibbe lock cylinders have nothing to do directly with Smartlock, and they have been fitted to Falcons since the security update on EA2's (from 9/90).

You could:
a. Buy full matching set from Ford (Part No. EAB-F22050-A), for Ignition, 2 Doors and presumably boot (not mentioned in Parts Catalog as included?) - Expensive solution, but all new and with warranty.

b. Find a matching set at the wreckers with key - trying to find locks in good condition would be a test, and wreckers quite often don't get keys with cars they buy. Worth a look though, and would be cheaper than new, but warranty not worth a pinch....

c. Buy one door lock with matching key from wreckers and rebuild your own locks to match the combination. The Ford workshop manual lays down the procedure for working out your key combination by counting the notches on the tumblers in the lock. By having one lock with a working key, you could retumble your locks to match, then use that one key. Easy job - have done so a few times (ignition is harder than door locks though). You can even buy overhaul kits from Ford that include new tumblers, springs and magazine. Ignition is EAB-A3697-A, RH Door is EAB-F220K51-A, LH Door is EAB-F220K51-B. Suggestion - buy ignition lock with matching key, then retumble door locks to match (as below).

To work out the existing combination (assuming that door, boot and ignition locks are still matching!), remove 1 door lock cylinder (RH is easiest), position lock with drain slot upwards and operating lever to the right. Starting at the left, read the code from each tumbler by counting the number of notches on the edge of each of the 6 tumblers.

1 notch = 1
2 notches = 2
3 notches = 3
0 notches = 4

If you knew what the combination of your lock were (by the method above) you were supposedly able to buy keys from Ford in the right combination, but I've never had any success with that (always get blank looks from spares guys!!).

As for the remote, once a key is sorted, buy a remote keypad and train the Smartlock module to it. You will be set then.

I know this has been a bit long-winded, but hopefully it will give you a plan of attack. Any queries, just ask.

Steve
BA GT #0909 - Manual, Citric Acid, Stripes, Sunroof, Premium sound, FPV Steering wheel and Mats.
GT 0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:47   #8 (permalink)

thanks Steeve your a champ!!!

Ill probably get a key and barrel from the wreckers and retumble the locks like u said.

next problem is - how do I get the old barrel out of the ignition housing?
do I have to grind off/out the shear pins, then what?

anyway thanks for the help..

cheers
Old 08-04-2004, 04:59   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

That's slightly wrong, Smartlock barrels ARE different to pre-Smartlock ones.

I can't remember exactly how to get the barrel out, but it's a bit tricky to do without breaking them. I'll read through the manual and get back to you.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:09   #10 (permalink)

yes I can confirm that my car has smartlock..

I can get a set of locks and key(including the whole ignition housing and wires (full everything including smartlock wiring) out of an EF.

But....wont my ecu have a problem with this, because its a different code on the locks to the code the ECU is expecting?

I read somewhere (I think) about it being ok to do this but I needed to leave the ignition in the ON position for 1/2 hour so the ECU learns that they are new....

and also is the EF smartlock wiring the same as EB, ie can the EB ecu recognise EF smartlock signals?

does this sound right..

this is my prefered option because I wont have to stuff around pulling apart barrels for as long.

later..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons