The odd noise at the back of my EA?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 00:48   #1 (permalink)

frown The odd noise at the back of my EA??

My car sounds like a aeroplane taking off its sounds like it winds down when i take my foot off the pedal,when i acclerate the winding increases.The sound is coming from the back.Can it be my tail shaft or my diff and also how much is it goona cost me to fix this noise is killing me haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 03:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: The odd noise at the back of my EA??

its your diff for sure.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:50   #3 (permalink)

I agree,
you MAY be lucky, but i doubt it, that it may only be a axle bearing.
Cost of repair will depend on how you go about it....you can get a complete diff for under $100 if you look in the right places, and if you can fit it yourself (or with mates drinking your beer offering you dumb advise) you may save a packet.
I don't know your tech ability so hard to advise on which course to take

Cheers
JAs
PS your bank blance details would help tho :)
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:20   #4 (permalink)

Gday i am having the same noise - refer to hum or vibration on forrum my noise isnt neccesarily coming from back i changed dif, tail shaft , new wheel bearings front and back uni joints my noise starts at 35kms and up in speed and is there till stop, the thing is it hasnt affected any of the running of the vehicle. a friend who new a guy ( yup that old one ) reckons it could also be the exhaust in a freak kind of way. apparently it was a ford ea problem and the way to rectify it was to dent the muffler ( hit it )or box with a rubber mallet.I havent tried this yet as there is three boxes .and i would like to iscolate it to which box . good luck
timachino
timachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:10   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timachino
Gday i am having the same noise - refer to hum or vibration on forrum my noise isnt neccesarily coming from back i changed dif, tail shaft , new wheel bearings front and back uni joints my noise starts at 35kms and up in speed and is there till stop, the thing is it hasnt affected any of the running of the vehicle. a friend who new a guy ( yup that old one ) reckons it could also be the exhaust in a freak kind of way. apparently it was a ford ea problem and the way to rectify it was to dent the muffler ( hit it )or box with a rubber mallet.I havent tried this yet as there is three boxes .and i would like to iscolate it to which box . good luck
timachino

OK, so I just read this "hijack" after I posted in your own thread. Your "muffler fix" is done when the cat (not the furry type) is loose and rattles. I am sorry to say, that if you have changed tyres, bearings, unis, tailshaft and diff and the noise is still there, then you need a better radio....
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 23:18   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: The odd noise at the back of my EA??

Gday again well i have some information that might help, fistly with car jacked up or on the ground ,grab front of tailshaft and try to wobble it within the transmission , if it can move around you may have a bit of wear on the bronze bush that is inside the trans tail. if this is the case you have to drain trans ,while jacked up on stands remove tail shaft then remove tail assembly of trans and replace bush you may have to replace the trans rear seal as well but check this process with a mechanic to be the correct procedure.good luck!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 23:22   #7 (permalink)

mad Re: The odd noise at the back of my EA??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
OK, so I just read this "hijack" after I posted in your own thread. Your "muffler fix" is done when the cat (not the furry type) is loose and rattles. I am sorry to say, that if you have changed tyres, bearings, unis, tailshaft and diff and the noise is still there, then you need a better radio....
read on if you arent always so sarcastic
Old 02-12-2006, 01:20   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timachino
read on if you arent always so sarcastic
The degree of my sarcasm varies..... but, seriously, I am not sure what you are trying to say, the combination of words and the order in which you have placed them does not make sense to me....???

As for the extension housing bush, these were a problem in EB XR8s Pursuit cars. At speeds that most people don't travel at (180+) the bush would work it's way loose and damage the oil seal. Oil would then leak out onto the exhaust putting on a smoke show behind the car. The fix was to fit a new extension housing assembly. Mind you, these were 4 speed autos.....

But, in regards to your car, I have seen an EA 3 speed with no bush left at all, the tailshaft yoke was literally running in the aluminium housing. No symtoms other than an oil leak overnight, which was continuously toppped up.

And not even a hint of sarcasm.... (oops)
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons