odometer failure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 04:25   #1 (permalink)
ED XR6 in progress

odometer failure

just today, the odometer on my ED falcon has stopped ticking over. I reset it at every full tank of fuel and i noticed it hasnt moved. neither the trip meter or odemeter are working, anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? it was working up until today, cheers, any help much appreciated
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 17:24   #2 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Re: odometer failure

Same thing happened to my ED the past couple weeks. Investigation in older threads and other forums suggests it will be a gear issue in the instrument cluster. Apparently its not too difficult job to pull the cluster out and fix it if thats the cause.

Going to look at mine this weekend.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
ED XR6 in progress

orite yeh makes sense, can u let me know on this thread how you go this weekend with ours an i'll go from there, cheers
Old 08-21-2006, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Ok, pulled the cluster tonight. I did not get as far as pulling the motor that drives the gears. I will get some ceramic grease as advised in the thread linked below.

The thread below describes the procedure to get to the odometer gears ince removed from the dash and another thread linked in there describes the procedure for getting the cluster ouf of the dash.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=35307

A couple of my own observations after pulling mine. The 2 screws on the underside holding the cluster surround in are located behind the recesses which house the buttons for antenna/door locks on the left and boot/fuel filler releases on the right.

There were 3 sets of cables to remove to get the cluster out once the surround is removed and the 4 screws holding the cluster are removed. 2 in the middle, one above the other. The other is a smaller connector located at the bottom left which can be pulled out last.

Contrary to the linked thread I only needed to undo 10 screws total to access the face of the speedo and another 4 to get the odo gearset out of the cluster. Remove the 6 screws in the recesses along the outside of one side. Then remove 4 screws which are in a line slightly in towards the centre of the back from the row of warning light bulbs. Push in 4 retaining clips and you can then remove the plastic cover from the front of the cluster.

As mentioned in the threads be very careful removing the speedo needle. Make a good note of how it is positioned so you can put it back later correctly. Pull off the casing from the trip meter reset button. Then remove the warning gauge and speedo facings. There is a clear plastic cover over the odo gearset. Pull it out carefully, it comes right out. Now unplug the two wiring connectors on the back side of the cluster behind the odo. Undo the 4 screws in that same area and the odo gearset will come out.

I did not see anything obviously wrong with mine but will try to do so in the next couple of days when I get the grease.

Good luck with you own.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
ED XR6 in progress

chers Anakha, that'll help me out il be sure to follow ya procedure, cheers and thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2006, 07:33   #6 (permalink)

pffft. Mine has been like that for the last 18 months. Has passed rego inspection twice!
rod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:07   #7 (permalink)

G'day,
not sure of the cure, but have seen these things fail a few times when you reset the trip meter on the roll. Sometimes a fresh reset fixes it.....sometimes not.

Most cars i have driven, don't seem to like reseting the trip on the roll....so now i make it a point of filling, resetting, starting.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons