Please Help! 3spd To 4spd E Series - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 01:54   #1 (permalink)

Please Help! 3spd To 4spd E Series

Hi, I Have Just Ripped Out The Busted 3 Spd Auto In My Ea Cpi. And Have A 4spd At Home From A Wreck That I Aquired (now Gone!)with The Matching Ecu. I Plan To Put The 4 Spd In But Want The Swap To Go Smoothly So Im Doing My Homework Before I Commence Can Anyone Tell Me What Mods Are Required?

Do I Need A Particular Crossmember?
Whats Required In The Wiring Of This Box?
Will The Cooler Lines Reach The New Box?(i Noticed Theyre Routed Slightly Different!

If Anyone Has Done This Conversion Before Please Reply I Need Help!
CORTYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 14:51   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Please Help! 3spd To 4spd E Series

Hey there I have done this conversion :)

You will need 4 speed auto cooler lines they are of different size to the 3 speed, I would also suggest a trans cooler be fitted.

You can integrate the wiring to your existing harness, or get an EA 30th anniversary complete wiring loom and install that, integration was pretty easy, I had to re-wire the plug from the gearbox to the existing loom in order to get the pins correct, send me an email dellboy999@hotmail.com if you would like an excel spreadsheet with some wiring detail.

Cross memeber you need to make up a couple of small extender brackets to get the 4 speed to bolt up as the mount points are just all wrong.

The exhaust bracket at the gearbox will also not line up, you will need to goto an exhaust shop when finished for a re-alignment.

Otherwise the tail shaft etc all fits no problems, and the gearbox does bolt up to the engine without drama.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORTYA
Hi, I Have Just Ripped Out The Busted 3 Spd Auto In My Ea Cpi. And Have A 4spd At Home From A Wreck That I Aquired (now Gone!)with The Matching Ecu. I Plan To Put The 4 Spd In But Want The Swap To Go Smoothly So Im Doing My Homework Before I Commence Can Anyone Tell Me What Mods Are Required?

Do I Need A Particular Crossmember?
Whats Required In The Wiring Of This Box?
Will The Cooler Lines Reach The New Box?(i Noticed Theyre Routed Slightly Different!

If Anyone Has Done This Conversion Before Please Reply I Need Help!
good luck the wiring is the biggest headack not all ea have the same wiring in them they are different in some way through 88,89,90 and the gear box mounts are to but you will be able to get one to bolt straight in. the last time i did it it was a 88 model and i had to change the whole wiring harnes engine bay computer and dash loom
Old 02-21-2005, 14:25   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badxr6
good luck the wiring is the biggest headack not all ea have the same wiring in them they are different in some way through 88,89,90 and the gear box mounts are to but you will be able to get one to bolt straight in. the last time i did it it was a 88 model and i had to change the whole wiring harnes engine bay computer and dash loom
badxr6, i think you did it the hard way, it is a matter of stripping out the 4 speed auto plugs and and wires from a wiring harness, then part of that goes to the engine bay (via the brake booster), the other wires can be direct connected to the ECU, piece of cake, why change looms and all that way too much work, the wiring is easy if you can read schematics.

You only have to change everything if you use an integrated ecu/trans controller, I suggest a sperate trans ecu, much simpler job. with a seperate trans ECU you can then also fit a BA shifter , PM or email if you are interested anyone

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons