Possible theory as to why my car is so slow? ECU reset etc? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Possible theory as to why my car is so slow? ECU reset etc?

I was having a think today and when I bought my car the throttle cable was fubar. You could only open the throttle about 20% or so.
Now if this had been like that for a while wouldnt the ECU learn this and adapt to suit?
Now that I have changed the throttle cable to a good one would the same characteristics of the previous cable be carried over if the ECU has not been properly reset?

Would this problem still occur if the car was dual fuel?

How do I go about resetting the ECU? I have had the battery disconnected for 30 minutes so far, is there a way of speeding it up?
Would 3 hours with no power with the car switched to accessories be long enough?

Thanks guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Possible theory as to why my car is so slow? ECU reset etc?

30 minutes igntion off is long enough to reset the ECU, I make it an hour to be sure.

I find that the ECU retains bad habits, had a friend run an EF on premium for a year, then went back to standard petrol, started pinging, and was still pinging 2 months later (unless fed premium), reset the ECU and hey presto no more pinging, behaving nicely now.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

This is interesting actually..

A fair while ago, I pulled the - leads off the battery for about 3 mins.. when I put them back on I assumed it would have reset.. it ran a bit silly, and would stall if you let it try to idle, on either LPG or petrol.. after a few mins of slowly easing off the throttle, it learnt to not stall..

Then the other day I pulled the old alternator out, and I left it with the battery disconnected for 3-4 days.. I figured I would get this stalling crap, and re-learning etc. But, for some reason, it just ran hapily once I hooked the battery back in.. didn't even stall when I flicked A/C on (last time at idle, it would stall instantly with A/C sucking so much extra power )

Whats the deal here? Did it just corrupt its memory last time I did it, but with a few days it properly reset?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

dont know what you managed to do, but i have always just disconnected battery done what I need to do, maybe 1/2 hour or so of work, then connected it again, never bothered with a base idle set, i.e. in park a/c on the off, then in drive, a/c on then off, and it has always idled without hassle.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:31   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I had to remove my battery twice last weekend to put the battery in my wrecked car. When I put the battery back in my car it didn't want to idle for the first 10 starts. The tacho needle would bounce up and down if it started and it would want to die. I had to press the accelerator to get it going in the first place.

I spoke to my mechanic (Taxi operator, main experience in Falcons) and he reckons 10 minutes with the battery disconnected is enough?!?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:48   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Strange stuff. All my cars have never done any of these symptons eve when ive swapped ecu's with ones I know hadn't been in a car for 6 months. Sunnys car is the only one Ive seen run roughly for the first 10km or so. It was funny you could pick when the car started running properly.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

But to answer your question dan, I say start with the basics and go over everything. Check the timing is right, check balancer hasnt slipped, check fuel pressure check ecu for any error codes etc. The ecu wont adapt to the throttle not opening all the way it'll just think your of age 60 or over
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Bugger! There goes my easy fix theory.
How do I check for error codes?
the timing is fine, Im not going to worry about fuel pressure as it will be on straight gas soon anyway. Probably in the next 3 weeks.
I think my cam may be worn or my cat is clogged up, is there an easy way to check? The car has nearly 300,000 kms and Im guessing it has never been swapped. the compression is fine.

Thanks guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:24   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Whenever I reset the ECU the car runs shit for a while. I think it happens more with modded cars/the wrong ECU in the car. It's meant to run a certain engine, but gets something totally out of a whack and takes a while to figure it out.

I usually give it a WOT tune right after a reset, fixes it right up.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:41   #10 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

sort of off topic but not in a way. how does the digital odometer (kms travelled in the cars life) remember how many Ks its done? is this stored in the ECU? if so, if you got someone elses ECU would it show on your car what Ks the original car had done?
if not stored on the ECU how is it stored then and how long without power will the memory last??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons