quick advice on EB2 please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2003, 20:39   #1 (permalink)
Mechanical Dumbass

Lightbulb quick advice on EB2 please

i have found a 92 falcon EB2 Gli for sale at a car fair for $3500ono...it's red, 5 sp, tinted windows (can hardly tell), 3 months rego, smartlock thing - remote central locking and immobiliser, its been the same family car its whole life and has a service history. Its completely stock. i have yet to test drive the car but ive looked at it inside and out and inside bonnet and appears to be in good - very good condition. it has done 240,000km but i have heard that isn't toooo bad for a car this age and if it has been driven fairly easy its whole life and has had a reg service then it should be running sweet still. my questions are what is there to look out for in this particular model and does this sound like a good price? i'll have to take it for a test drive and get it checked by mechanic before i buy but would also like to know what you guys think and what problems to look for?

Cheers.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2003, 20:50   #2 (permalink)

sounds like a great price to me, when i was looking at EB's they were more then that.
take it for a test drive asap and get it checked, i wouldn't let it slip!
added reliablility of the 4L and a nice 5spd connected to it :D

take a look at the usual things, fluid levels, any fluids on the block, in the engine bay, look on the ground where the car is usually sitting.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 00:34   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Not a bad price, I'd go for it mate.
The motors will last a fair while, my EB is currently running a 290 K motor with no dramas.
The rear wheel arches and door corners are rust spots, also check out the tie rod ends and lower ball joints as we've had problems with them on a few cars of about that age.
Not hard/expensive to fix, tho.

Other than that, basically a good, reliable car, grab it mate!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

oh yeah and inside the spare tyre bay. Handbrakes if it was used for boats - nobody ever washes the salt off.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 00:46   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Have a look at the wear on the front tyres. Also, have a look at it's service history to see if there is anything unusual or a lot of things done recently...

And as you are in the act - see if the car comes with a current rego inspection report. If it needs any urgent repairs, it should be highlighted in the report.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

The red paint can fade if neglected, but it does look sweet if kept in good nick. Were you planning on getting it checked out?

Oh yeah, and see if you can test drive a couple of EB's to compare to this one. Sounds pretty good for the price though.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:17   #7 (permalink)
Mechanical Dumbass

thanks for the advice fellas,

i rung him up before and he said his dad was the original owner and he bought it off him 2 years ago, and theres no problems with it (naturally i won't believe that till i hear from a mechanic). all the tyres were fairly worn, im not 100% sure they will pass rego, but i would be looking at getting bigger wheels in the near future if i get it anyways cause its only got 14"s..i did have a look in the wheel arches and in where the spare tyre is and i didnt notice any rust, but ill be either taking it for a test drive and to the mechanics tomorrow or tuesday, depending on when it can get booked in. hopefully all goes well!
Old 05-11-2003, 01:21   #8 (permalink)

14" on an EB2?
i thought they had 15's by that stage.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:41   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

EF introduced 15s. Five speed EBs are rare, so if the car checks out ok I wouldn't hesitate!

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:51   #10 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

I bought an EA II last week. mines an automatic so my main worry was the trans. 4 speeds like mine are around $2000 compared to $600 for a 3 speed. Mines done 190 000km, very good condition and at $2300 was too good to pass up :)
had it for a week and the only thing i've done is change the wiper blades!
barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons