Radiator O-Ring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-05, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 74
Radiator O-Ring

Been leaking coolant in my EB2 Monty (1 litre every 2 weeks or so)

Preasure test reveals radiator side tank (passenger side) has a dodgy O-Ring and the coolant is weeping from there.

Was quoted $120 to repair or $230 to replace the whole radiator.

Is it possible to replace the o rings yourself without removing the radiator?. Or even if you DO have to remove it. Is it something you can easily do from home?

Cheers
Rod
rod71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-05, 01:29 AM
Registered User
 
tufLTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Caloundra, Queensland
Age: 53
Posts: 240
Re: Radiator O-Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod71
Been leaking coolant in my EB2 Monty (1 litre every 2 weeks or so)

Preasure test reveals radiator side tank (passenger side) has a dodgy O-Ring and the coolant is weeping from there.

Was quoted $120 to repair or $230 to replace the whole radiator.

Is it possible to replace the o rings yourself without removing the radiator?. Or even if you DO have to remove it. Is it something you can easily do from home?

Cheers
Rod
Not a job you can do at home. The plastic side tanks need to be pressed on with the o ring. You will probably find the tanks are buggered anyway. Easier just to buy a new radiator. Mal.
tufLTD is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-05, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 74
Re: Radiator O-Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
Not a job you can do at home. The plastic side tanks need to be pressed on with the o ring. You will probably find the tanks are buggered anyway. Easier just to buy a new radiator. Mal.
Thanks mate :)

Yeah i called a radiator joint this arvo which is closer to home. Told him about the preasure test and O ring. He mentioned that the O ring isn't all that common, and it's more likely a split in the tank.

Great. so now we have 2 opinions. I'll go see this radiator guy on monday and have a chat.

But i think you're right. Best to get a new radiator.

Is $220 a good price?. Doubt that includes fitting.
rod71 is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-05, 02:15 AM
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985
 
cheekybabe85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: brisbane
Age: 30
Posts: 149
Re: Radiator O-Ring

you would be better off buying a new radiator in the long run, then at least you know its brand new and nothing else can go wrong with it fora while.
cheekybabe85 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-05, 02:41 AM
Registered User
 
tufLTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Caloundra, Queensland
Age: 53
Posts: 240
Re: Radiator O-Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod71
Thanks mate :)

Yeah i called a radiator joint this arvo which is closer to home. Told him about the preasure test and O ring. He mentioned that the O ring isn't all that common, and it's more likely a split in the tank.

Great. so now we have 2 opinions. I'll go see this radiator guy on monday and have a chat.

But i think you're right. Best to get a new radiator.

Is $220 a good price?. Doubt that includes fitting.
$220 is a good price. Fitting it is easy, it will only take about 30 mins. Don't forget to flush engine & heater beforehand, otherwise you will fill the new rad with crap. Use a good quality coolant as well. Mal.
tufLTD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome