reseting ecu when using cold air? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 05:01   #1 (permalink)

reseting ecu when using cold air?

I was looking on ebay last night and saw someone selling a cold air pipe for EA-ED falcon. What cought my attention was he said he will provide info for reseting ecu with it also. Now ive never heard about this so i asked a mechanic mate about it and he dribbled off alot of stuff that made no sense, but what i did understand was that there is no advantage of reseting the ecu. But seeing as hes a holden mechanic (not holden man though cos he knows how crap they are lol) i thought id put it to guys. With my pod filter set up which is just a pod on the induction pipe (box comming soon), or for that matter any cold air setup should the ecu be reset or what.

CHEERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 05:10   #2 (permalink)
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985

Re: reseting ecu when using cold air?

yeah, the ecu is to help diagnose proplems that is not easily seen or notice. so by reseeting the ecu it would diagnose the new cold air pipe and give a diagnosis on it. well i hoped i helped, im a chick who likes her cars and tries to understand them, lol!ok!check ya's!
cheekybabe85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:11   #3 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

no point in resetting the ecu for cold air.. it wont learn there is a cold air pipe.. it iisnt that smart...
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

The ECU will not know you have changed or removed the pipe. Resetting it will be wasting time only.

If you want a CAI buy a Tickford one from Ford, these help.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:15   #5 (permalink)

Resetting the ECU allows it to "re learn" how you drive and whats goin in and out of the engine in what it considers "normal conditions". You tell it what "normal conditions" are by the way you drive it and the temperature and pressure of air coming in. If you reset the comptuer after a few minor mods (eg, CAI, using Premium, bigger intake piping), it may make a difference.
If you do reset it and then drive hard for a long time (if thats just how you drive) you may see a loss in fuel economy but a slight increase in performance.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
The ECU will not know you have changed or removed the pipe. Resetting it will be wasting time only.

If you want a CAI buy a Tickford one from Ford, these help.
there is no tickford pipe for the EA-ED's

the eecIV has a relearning function, this will adjust a/f ratios in low load and cruise to 14.7:1. I think it may make adjustments to other operations too. I have found resetting the computer has made a excellent difference in many situations

Once where the ignition system was stuffed (plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor button - all burnt out), i put new stuff in with no reset. drove it round for a bit and didnt feel a very noticable difference, so i thought i may as well reset the computer and after it had learned (about 3-6 days) fuel economy got better and it also ran a lot smoother....

Most other parts available, PM me
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:22   #7 (permalink)

disconnect battery for 3mins she's all good
but me i do it overnight

anyways its only really to re adjust to compensate for any changes etc so doing a ECU reset is pointless for just a pod setup but thats up to you..

i reset my computer at least once a month on mine(time for a decent tune up i reckon).
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:40   #8 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon69
disconnect battery for 3mins she's all good
but me i do it overnight
3 mins will not do it JUST by disconnecting the battery. some people have said by turning the ign "on", turning the headlights on then pump the brake pedal twice, turn lights off and turn off ign. this is said to reset the comp in 5 minutes.
I have done it that way but took keys out in 15 minutes and it definitly reset.
The above definitly has a theroy to why it works too - capacitors in ecu releasing stored energy.

otherwise the computer needs 30 minutes to reset if just the battery terminal is disconnected and thats all.

Most other parts available, PM me
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:32   #9 (permalink)

Cheers for the help guys.

I might just reset the ecu anyway if its only a matter disconecting the battery for a while. if it doesnt change anything it doesnt matter just means ive gotta redo my presets on the stezza
Old 06-06-2005, 19:53   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
3 mins will not do it JUST by disconnecting the battery. some people have said by turning the ign "on", turning the headlights on then pump the brake pedal twice, turn lights off and turn off ign. this is said to reset the comp in 5 minutes.
I have done it that way but took keys out in 15 minutes and it definitly reset.
The above definitly has a theroy to why it works too - capacitors in ecu releasing stored energy.

otherwise the computer needs 30 minutes to reset if just the battery terminal is disconnected and thats all.
cheers mate that was a misprint on my behalf btw
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons