Rounded Head Bolt - HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005, 21:11   #1 (permalink)

Rounded Head Bolt - HELP!

Hi all

Started doing the head on my EA today and all went well up to the point of breaking a socket and rounding off one headbolt. All the others were fine but now I am screwed and can't get this bugger out. Can anyone suggest some method of doing it?

Any help for this frustrated EA owner would be appreciated...

Cheers
Speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 03:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rounded Head Bolt - HELP!

Doesn't matter :) Found this thread - Hit a snag (head removal) - and will try some of the options....
Old 11-12-2005, 04:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedway
Hi all

Started doing the head on my EA today and all went well up to the point of breaking a socket and rounding off one headbolt. All the others were fine but now I am screwed and can't get this bugger out. Can anyone suggest some method of doing it?

Cheers
We've had this problem at work a couple of times.
Two solutions:Take a 13mm socket & bash it over the bolt head (14mm). It may sound rough but it can work a treat. If that fails, cut off the bolt head with an angle grinder. Be very careful not to mark the cylinder head though. Cheers.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:05   #4 (permalink)

G'day,
have been faced with this before.
When doing heads on E series, if you attempt it without Deep 6 point impact sockets, you don't know what you are doing (or simply don't hold the trade qualification)

To resovle this...
1. remove the Rocker train (again six point sockets are highly advised)
2. block off all oil galleries as best as you can
3. get a nice fine file and remove the rounded edges off the bolts
4. try again with a 14mm impact socket...if it feels like slipping, then stop and file down, swap to a 9/16 impact and continue to file until it almost fits and then bash it on.

these suckers are TIGHT to begin with.

Dont be afraid of destroying the bolt, because when doing a head gasket on these you should ALWAYS replace the head bolts...my last set cost me $18 trade.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
When doing heads on E series, if you attempt it without Deep 6 point impact sockets, you don't know what you are doing (or simply don't hold the trade qualification)
In the trade - no, know what I am doing - well actually I do, been around engines of various makes for years, it is just that this is my first EA and it is the very first time a head bolt has rounded on me. I only use quality tools, Sidchrome and KC Tools. Infact it was a Sidchrome 13mm socket that got the bugger out! The head certainly did not look like a bolt head when I had finished! :)

Anyway, thanks for everyone tips.....

Cheers
Bruce
Old 11-14-2005, 01:46   #6 (permalink)

Sorry Bruce,
was a little tongue in cheek there. Wasn't aimed directly at you....have seen a mechanic try this with a 12point....well you know the result.....

Glad you got it out.

Cheers
Jas
Old 11-14-2005, 03:36   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
G'day,

4. try again with a 14mm impact socket...if it feels like slipping, then stop and file down, swap to a 9/16 impact and continue to file until it almost fits and then bash it on.
Jas
Just a quick note: 9/16" is bigger than 14mm! Use a 13mm.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:50   #8 (permalink)

I just KNEW i was gunna get that one arse about...almost always do!

Although, if you use a 6 point, you may get it to grip the centre of the 'flats' rather than the corner.

Those centre grip sockets are the go..no more rounded bolts...but who wants/can afford to spend that money.....oh yer my customers!!

Jas
Old 11-15-2005, 03:59   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedway
Hi all

Cheers
hi i have a ea falcon a customer smashed the pass side control arm off. the car is rough but we put a gem engine in it 4 years ago and it has done approx 60,000 km you can have the whole car for $250.00 you tow away i am in sydney pm me if you are interested. that headbolt problem can be a bitch. have you got access to a welder. weld a nut on top of it and try that if not diegrind the head off the bolt and lift the head enough to get at it with some vicegrips you will find that once the bolt tension is gone you may screw out easy. the head will not lift off over it though as engine bay firewall clearance is a issue and be careful of t/chain guide they break easy!!

i suppose i should have read this first eh all done eh
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:10   #10 (permalink)

Reece,
shit $250!!!! the tranny and scrap value are worth more than that....hell if i were in sydeny, i would already have the car.

give me 24 hours to. investigate float costs to melbourne.

Jas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons