Some E-Series Fairmont values (long) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2003, 19:34   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Some E-Series Fairmont values (long)

I thought it would be interesting to pass on my research into the values of various E-Series cars in the Vic Trading Post. The research was minimal, but nonetheless gives an idea of some comparative prices.

In theory, it is possible for anyone to sell their car for a good price, then buy a bargain-priced newer model, thus make a substansial upgrade for next to nothing. Lately I've been a bit fed up with Ford's obscene spare parts prices, rip-off mechanics and dodgy wreckers, so I thought it would be worth a bit of research. The results were surprising.

ED Fairmont
I singled out this model as one of the high points in the E-Series model range in terms of value. Most are still in top condition, and it is the culmination of the countless EA-ED updates, resulting in very solid motoring. Crucial safety features like ABS, 3 point rear/centre belt and door side intrusion beams distinguish this model from the nonetheless-excellent EB series II. And in all honesty, I can't name many worthwhile features that the Ghia of the time has over it, except for those who like leather.

The cheapest example in the Trading Post was just shy of the $6,000 mark. However, some dealers were charging up to double this price, so shopping around would be worthwhile. I think it would be realistic to get a good example for $6k. There was only one V8 model this week, which was going for 12 from a dealer - a premium that cannot justified by any means.

EF Fairmont
Building on its predecessor with a much more modern appearance, improved overall refinement and a driver's airbag, the big surprise with the EF today is that there are so many available. Three pages worth, compared to 1 page for the ED.

Pricing begins on the budget side of $8k and goes as high as $14 from dealers. Interestingly, the Ghias start from only a grand or so extra. The only V8 Fairmont was a $12,750 proposition. Also of note, one particular example of a '94 EF six is going for just $6,990 from a dealer. Looks very clean from the picture, too.

EA Fairmont Ghia
A good, solid EA Ghia makes for a cheap way to buy a car which lacks nothing in space, features, looks or comfort. But in this case, the research was being done for trade-in reasons.

Prices ranged from $900 for a damaged example right through to $6,200 for a private-sale, modified series II with 17" wheels and the like. All available were automatic.

The Verdict
In my particular case, I realised that the EA is too heavily modified to make this exercise feasible. I'd be faced with selling the car as is, and getting a pitiful value increase from mods like the 16" wheels that cost me a fortune, or the other option of stuffing around with buying stock EA wheels, trying to sell the 16s etc... and that's just one example. Then there's the fact that an ED or EF would need money spent on it to equal the EA's acceleration and handling - money which isn't available.

So I have decided that my best option is stop modifying the EA for a while, and use it as a daily driver until I can afford a new car. Then I will hopefully have the funds to modify the EA more substansially without worrying about the effects of modifications on its reliability. For now, I'll pay the $200 that Ford Spart Parts want for 2 pieces of clear plastic with a couple of 50 cent globes, but that's it for a while.

Even though it is of no use to me, this research may be of interest for others. Modifying and customising cars may be a lot of fun, but you get a hell of a lot more for your money by simply upgrading every so often and putting up with the blandness of stock cars.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S

Last edited by Troutman; 09-14-2003 at 19:38.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 20:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Some E-Series Fairmont values (long)

interesting bit of information :)
i think u've deffinately made the right choice, you're car looks very nice as is, and would be a shame to rid yourself of it for something that would basically be stock :)
can't wait to see what happens with the ol' EA in the future!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

After owning a E-Series car, my conclusion:

Buy a porsche... it's cheaper in the long run lol j/k
Old 09-15-2003, 01:49   #4 (permalink)

I'm always tossing up whether to sell my car and upgrade to something a bit nicer or newer. Those that have been with the club for a while will know that I have been through stages of wanting several cars including... R31 Skyline, EA Ghia, ED XR6, EFII Ghia, VS Berlina and ED Fairmont.

Unfortunately for me, I am a lousy saver and as soon as I get a little bit of dosh I blow it on something.

Jack, when you say you're going to get a new car. Do you mean brand new or something like what you have listed in your post? Since you're going to keep the EA, it might be worthwhile getting a smaller, more economical 4cyl.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:59   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Looks like you have done your research there JT.

To be honest, I have a slightly different view, but I guess everyone is different... your car has come such a long way.

I must admit that everytime I see a BA XR6T I can't help but want one, but at this stage in life, I'd rather put that cash to house/land investment then a money pit that will loose value every day.

With what ever you do, I wish you the best of luck.. and hope that the E-Series club lives on
Old 09-15-2003, 02:07   #6 (permalink)

i went through this senario wanting to fit a capa superchargher to my eb11 5lt fairmont ghia wagon. Until common sense kick in and i realised the money was going to be better spent going towards a new xr6t and i havn,t looked back since.
p.s also i though it might be worth adding this wagon is the only one of its type made in 92 plus there were another 26 made in 93 and i was offered the measily amount of$4500 trade in on the xr6t.

Last edited by TBO240; 09-15-2003 at 02:24.
TBO240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Yeah I have been keeping a very close eye on this very matter. Some would argue my ED is on of the the best of its type yet I doubt I could sell it for more than $7500 that includes the ROH mags, the 3.45LSD, and the imaculte paint, very low kms and MOMO steering wheel.

Sure the value is there to reasonably ask for $9000 because of the work that has gone in to the car and the rarity of some of its parts, but in the end you are still left with an ED Fairmont. And like many cars, its worth shit.

I am better of keeping it rather than selling and trading up to a newer model. So what am I happier with, excellent ED its just older (and getting older) or a stock new car which will attract money spending type events that endevour to bring the newer model in line with the one I just had...

Stupid cars. This is why I may buy an SR5 Hilux next instead. Grr!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:31   #8 (permalink)

This is why I have given up on modifying Falcons, or any car really. I've lost a small fortune over the years by spending big $ on a car, then selling it for a lot less than I originally paid for it - before the modifications.
A modified Falcon can go, and look nothing short of fantastic, but unless your going to keep the car for the long term, your throwing money away.
Isn't this common knowledge anyway?
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38   #9 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: Re: Some E-Series Fairmont values (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
........ but unless your going to keep the car for the long term, your throwing money away.
Isn't this common knowledge anyway?
Yup, exactly my view!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 05:18   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Interesting responses guys - just to make it clear, I'm not knocking modifications here, but in all honesty I might not have gone down this path if I'd known then what I know now. But there's no turning back now.

Kenaz, since you asked, I was looking at a sensible small car but it looks like I'll be getting something that's the same size next time. No point discussing it now as I haven't saved a cent towards it yet. :sad:

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons