sprint info - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 21:33   #1 (permalink)

sprint info

I have just purchased a sprint and theres a few things it needs to have fitted It has the standard spoiler kit except for the little bob tail spoiler on the boot it has the ed xr spoiler which is 2 inchs high, ford tells me there $900 for the bob tail one so im going to keep the one it has. Its missing the spoiler on the front bumper and ford tells me you cant get them any more. What I want to know is there any where you can get spoilers that look like the originals from a aftermarket company? The car gets a bad vibration in gear at around 4500rpm I am thinking its the clutch, has anyone had the same problem? It also has a sort of flutter in the engine heard at idle and low end rpms I am thinking of changing the plug leads as they look like the standard ones on there are the genuine ones the best for the car or aftermarket ones better? Thanks for your help.
sprint lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Re: sprint info

Mate,
Welcome to the Sprint club.
More info and pics needed... (Colour, km traveled, options etc)
Have a look at this thread that I started recently.
ED XR8 Sprint Spotters guide

I also have a vibration at the same sort of RPM as you but have not spent much time looking for it..
Is yours a manual or Auto???

If you want to get some more info re the car. You can contact FPV and they will have a look in the system and see what options it left the factory with etc.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:33   #3 (permalink)

my sprint is black, manual, 18inch rims on it also have 5 origianal rims the car has 139 000 on the clock its 02/1994 model. I had been looking for a black one for about 12 months and this one turned up on ebay and was only 2 hours from me for $14500.

It has no cruise but I bought a steering wheel with the spots for cruise from ebay i have just ordered the cruise buttons from ford the other day 80 bucks each now all i have to do is find the rest of the bits needed
sprint lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:56   #4 (permalink)

You two guys with the vibration may want to have close look at the harmonic balancer. We broke a crankshaft on one of these at the Ford Proving Ground during testing of Sprint production cars and this has been a fairly common area of concern..........
Jonathan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Jonathan72,
Mate,
Thanks for that. I would no have thought of the harmonic Balancer until after the fly wheel / clutch and or the uni's.. Any suggestions of what I need to look for? Could there be cracks in the balancer?

Look forward to your response...
Old 03-31-2005, 15:03   #6 (permalink)

Its going to be difficult to inspect on the car......
In fact, even off the car you may not see anything, as the outer ring may have slipped or the rubber may have just gone bad.
Engine harmonics is a science in itself and my expeience is that even an incorrectly torqued balancer can cause torsional vibration concerns.
Without sounding negative - the late model Windsor manufacturing tolerances are nowhere near as consistent as the local six cylinder engines.
Like I said, we broke a crankshaft on a brand new car - so for the time being I would avoid the rev range that is causing the vibration.
Old 03-31-2005, 15:41   #7 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Thanks for that...
Given that the sprint engine spins up real quick and mate'ed to the close ratio gear box it is hard to keep it under the 4500rpm limit suggested. I will put the car up on a hoist in the next week or so to check the Uni's and the balancer and see if I can find anything. Hopefully it is a Uni issue.....
Old 03-31-2005, 15:55   #8 (permalink)

You need to determine if the vibration is engine or road speed related.
Does the vibration occur at 4500rpm in every gear or only in a particular gear.
Let me know and I can possibly offer some more advice......
Old 03-31-2005, 16:00   #9 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Jonathan72,
The vibration seems to be RPM related not road speed related in all gears.. (well 1st, 2nd anyway) Have not run it fast enough (in the few weeks i have had it) to see if it happens in 3rd, 4th, 5th. I have not had a chance to check the Unis. my car is a manual.
Old 03-31-2005, 17:05   #10 (permalink)

If it is engine speed related - which it sounds like it is - it cannot be the universal joints. You are looking at the balancer, clutch, flywheel or a misfire of some description. I'll put my money on the balancer, but it would be worth doing a cylinder balance test first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons