V8 EA Conversion WA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 22:37   #1 (permalink)
Leafspring Owners Club

V8 EA Conversion WA

I am half thinking about buying an EA to drop a 5.0 Windsor into.

I have read all the other threads I can find related to this and realise I will need a 5sp V8 box (or a V8 input shaft at least) as people say the I6 box has a shorter input shaft than the V8.

Crossmembers/Engines mounts will obviously be different.

Any other upgrades necessary (anywhere but especially in WA).

Brakes shouldnt be a problem as EB XR8s seem to have the same brakes as I6 EA-EBs

Also I would like to run a Holley so I dont have to muck about with the EFI as the motor I can hopefully get at a reasonable price is out of a late 80s F100 with the Single Throttle Body EFI. I will be throwing this over my right (or maybe left) shoulder, even then using more energy than the system deserves. But the motor comes with all wiring and ECU if it was REALLY necessary.

Will the Holley be legal?? considering pollution controls from the motor end. If it is only exhaust controls I am sure I can jet the Holley to be Tree Hugging Hippy Friendly.

Any ideas guys??

Please I dont want this to turn into a I6 vs V8 thread as we have a few of them already.

Cheers
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 22:59   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: V8 EA Conversion WA

I'm pretty sure the 351 will have to be on gas to be legal, due to emissions, but the 302 ought to be OK with the Holley.
For an EA you WILL need an engineer's certificate, an EB you can just drop it in and ring the licensing centre as EBs came out with a v8.
You'll need to organise an exhaust.
Other than that, the front springs will need to be changed I should think, and that's all I can think of.

Personally, I'd get the EB and stick the 302 in that - much less hassle with the cops. If you need workspace or tools, I'll volunteer my shop floor and tools :s6:
This is the kind of stuff I do for fun, so will be very interested to see how you go!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
Leafspring Owners Club

Geez thanks mate. Yeah not sure which way I wil go yet.

How much would an Engineers cert cost?

Cause I am thinking I can buy a Manual I6 EA and convert to V8 for the cost of a Manual I6 EB.

There seems to be a fair amount of diff.

Idea behind the Holley is i wont have much need for ECU at all. Just run a dizzy with Electronic Ignition probably. But if it has the sensor already in it might be able to run an aftermarket full Elec Ignition.
Old 10-28-2003, 23:14   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Well I was looking at dropping a 308 into the ute - Nissan 720 - and that was gonna cost $3-400 for an engineer's certificate. I might do it yet......

Should go alright! :)

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 00:54   #5 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

I know a bloke here in Qld that had to run his 302 (XE origin....eventually was stroked to 347 anyway) on gas. Basically, if the donor motor is older than the car, you'd going to have problems. If you got a EFI 302 from a EB/Mustang, and copied the install of say a EB (ie used EB crossmember, mounts, suspension etc) you should be fine. But either way, you will need a engineers certificate.

if it were mine, I'd just go out and buy a V8 EB. Or go nuts on the six.

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:44   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I saw a EB Fairmont go at Carlins auctions for 1300. Was a auto but. But at that price u cat really complian..much.

Just thought id let ya know.

With rego MongrelEB mentioned pretty much everything.
The engine will generally have to have the same, or lower emmisions that the standard for the year of build aswell. (which is why there is a lot of retro fit Classic v8s)
For this reason the holley might cause a few probs awell(as i think they arent as efficient???)
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I'd recommend buying a wreck of an EB-EL V8 so you'll have all the parts you need. The V8 parts individually are very pricey unfortunately. If it's installed to a factory standard, I don't think you'd have too many problems. There is someone in NZ who has done this, putting an EL V8 in an EA. However, their emissions laws are less strict...

Keep us posted.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:11   #8 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

I would concur with Jack on that one, when I converted to V8 and manual, there was so many little things that i took from the donor car over and above the motor, box and diff. It would have cost a fortune to buy those bits i needed if I didn't have the wreck to salvage the parts i needed.

Also the resale of the bits you dont use will help offset the cost of the purchase of the donor vehicle.

My conversion cost 10K+ not including exhaust, you will be surprised how quickly it all adds up.
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:13   #9 (permalink)
XR82GO

I know this may sound silly but why dont you just buy a eb xr8 or some thing similar
If you want to make it some thing special find a mustang motor or some thing

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 14:39   #10 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

good luck with the conversion. look foward to haering how it goes
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons