Why are we driving EA's?! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 04:04   #1 (permalink)

Question Why are we driving EA's?!

Why are you driving an EA?

I've been a E-Series member for almost 2 years now, and I've now realised that EA's are ugly, oversized, underpowered, that are now reserved only for the poorest and most underpriviledged people in our society. When the majority of the population of St. Albans and Sunshine (no offence to St. Albans and Sunshine residents, but lets face facts. These areas have the highest rates for unemployment and related government benefits) drives the same car as you, it makes you wonder, "why am I driving one too?"

So with that in mind, what drives you to own an EA despite all it's downfalls? I can understand the cheapness of spare parts but considering the majority of members on here concentrate on upgrading their EA both aesthetically and mechanically, that doesn't really apply as a good reason. Why bother when there are much faster, more attractive, readily available, better handling vehicles out there?

I'm actually really bored, but still I think it's a good question. hehehe.

Why do I drive an EA you ask?

Because I was given one for free....

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Why are we driving EA's?!

Personally I drive an EB (same as an EA ) because it costs me far less to buy and mod than buying an EF or AU with similar performance figures.
Example: EB serI auto CFI - $2000
Manual box - $30
EL MPFI - $300 (manifold/sensors only: no computer)
Extractors, 2.5" exhaust, NC wiring loom/dash and Fairmont interior - $500
So far $2830 total.
AU motor, computer, etc. - $1500
Now $4330, plus odds and ends call it $4500
Tried buying an AU with a trip computer for that??? :)

Ugly is, of course, a point of view - I prefer to think of them as being dated.

I find I can't agree with you on the oversized and underpowered issue - get rid of the CFI and it will no longer be underpowered!

Anyway that's my 2c

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:21   #3 (permalink)

I've driven an MPI and a CFI car, and truly can't tell the difference. Well a $1000 difference anyway.

Dave

Obviously their not the ugliest cars on the road, and would take one over a commodore anyday, but are we limiting ourselves to aussie cars only because there is a sterotypical view of japanese cars=rice, jap car drivers=wankers?

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:27   #4 (permalink)
EA 5 Speed YEAH BABY!

hehehe
im sure the jap car drivers think the same thing about us....
Imperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:28   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Meh the farm ute's a Nissan, not a bad little car but it'll get a v8 or Commo six in the fullness of time :)

Have seen some very quick little Jap cars, personally after driving the big sixes and the v8s I could never go back to a 4-pot as they just don't feel right. A well-built v8 can produce better power on very similar fuel economy anyway.
BTW I'm from the country, try driving a little 2L out here sometime - they tire out VERY quickly due to the low torque they produce.

Where the hell are you buying parts from that it costs you $1000????
I'm doing a conversion on the weekend, supply and fit all parts, gaskets, etc., and it's costing the guy $300. That sounds a bit harsh on rereading, but Damn! Somebody's ripping you off man.
The MPFI must have been pretty tired, we put it on the old lady's EA and cut the 0-100 time down from 13 seconds to 10. Just to put that in perspective, the old WB panelvan with a 202 gets up to 100 in 13 seconds.....I like multipoint.....
So I reckon you must have gotten a dud MPFI - believe most people here will tell you a similar story to me :)

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:29   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

well, for a start, where else can you get a 4 litre motor in something that weighs about 1300kg?

an AU motor with a cam, 3.7 or .9 diff gears in a early EA = sleeper that would surprise the f*ck out of a lot of cars on the road - witness quickcorty - a 14.7 with dodgy 2.78 diff gears!!!

they arent that bad looking, sure, EB are better IMHO (mmm EB XR6 mmmm lol) but hell, you could have a VN for the same money, and really, your intelligence would have to be questioned very strongly if you went VN over EA...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:30   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I drive an EA because I am on the highway alot, i need something with a large engine, relatively good fuel consumption and also something that is comfortable on shithouse roads. The ea was the cheapest modern car I could afford

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:35   #8 (permalink)

cool

Why do I drive an EA you ask?...

Well, i realy had no chooice, because it was given to me. I was gona sell it and buy an EL. But over time, i began to fall for the thing. Its faults no longer pissed me off they started to inspire me, make me learn how to fix stuff. And once i stumbled accross www.eafalcon.com, i was in no way gona sell my car. Since joining fordforums.com, i have installed a trip computer, alarm, immob, stereo syste. Designed my own door trims, 17x8 EL GT ticky's, and super lowed my car. Ugly? Yes the average family EA car is ugly, but it does its job, now take a look at these two pics below, and tell me if these 2 EA GL's are ugly.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/pavitali/davesea89.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/pavitali/blueeagl.jpg

Its not the model or the car that makes it look ugly, its the owner
GL PRO SOUND
www.glprosound.com.au
1LOWEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:35   #9 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

I drove a EA cos it was cheap, went damn hard for what it was, had ample room to cart 5 teens around in, was ok on fuel, parts cheap and they looked damn good IMO. Sure, a EB or ED is basically the EA you would always want, but they are still reasonably expensive (ie a ED XR6 gets the same $$$ as a AU series 1)

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:35   #10 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

between cpi and mpi there is a big difference, well with dads wagon and my sedan anyway!

there a good looking car in my opinion. i like my ea, ive had it for about a year, and am really getting into modifiying it. its the easiest car to work on, and a good cruiser.
also i havent broke anything, unlike my first car, 4.1 te cortina.

currently im trying to neaten up the outside to make it look as schmick as possible, so i can lower it a bit more.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons