Another exhaust idea for the xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 18:13   #1 (permalink)

Another exhaust idea for the xr8

Greetings all..... am considering changing my exhaust once again, it currently sounds great but lacks real top end flow....

Currently....

stock headers, race magnum mufflers,custom resonators,2 1/4 inch piping throughout, split into twin exits left/right

Considering....

Pacemaker tuned extractors, 2 1/2 inch hi-flow cats, 2 1/2 inch mandrel piping to front hot dogs, 2 1/4 press bend to existing resonators, re-do split into twins with mandrel bends (current job pretty ordinary)

I realise the herrod system is good, hoping to work to a budget, if i buy the herrod set up then split them into twins i am up for the best part of $4000 for garlics to do it.....
Local, i can have this system, and retain my current sound for around $2000...

My other mods are opened out CAI, bmc filter, TS1 module...... Currently dynoed at around 290-300hp at wheels with this terrible system..

Any thoughts people?

Cheers Dave
daves8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 18:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Another exhaust idea for the xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves8
Greetings all..... am considering changing my exhaust once again, it currently sounds great but lacks real top end flow....

Currently....

stock headers, race magnum mufflers,custom resonators,2 1/4 inch piping throughout, split into twin exits left/right

Considering....

Pacemaker tuned extractors, 2 1/2 inch hi-flow cats, 2 1/2 inch mandrel piping to front hot dogs, 2 1/4 press bend to existing resonators, re-do split into twins with mandrel bends (current job pretty ordinary)

I realise the herrod system is good, hoping to work to a budget, if i buy the herrod set up then split them into twins i am up for the best part of $4000 for garlics to do it.....
Local, i can have this system, and retain my current sound for around $2000...

My other mods are opened out CAI, bmc filter, TS1 module...... Currently dynoed at around 290-300hp at wheels with this terrible system..

Any thoughts people?

Cheers Dave
What is a TS1 module?

It might be worthwhile for you to checkout the HPX catback system. From the original Y piece, which is dual 2.5 inch, it runs dual 2.25 inch with a mixture of mandrel and press bends. They claim it will out perform any other similar system under 5000RPM. I am still keen to see/listen to one of these systems. Dyno charts would be good too! Was quoted $1100 fitted.

I hope that $4k quote you got comes with the extractors!! It shouldn't be that difficult to knock up two pipes over the diff. I've had it done on mine "several" times and the guys sure didn't make it look difficult. 15mins on the bending machine (press bend).

I have been quoted 900 bucks for the pacemaker extractors fitted. Extra 300 for HPC coating. I would like to see how these XR8s react to a tri y setup before jumping into the 4-1s (pacemaker).

let us know what you decide on doing.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 20:36   #3 (permalink)

I was quoted slightly more for the pacemakers fitted, around $950- 1000....

I dont wont a pre-fabricated system from the cats back if i am going to chop it up splitting it into twin exits.....

A tsi module is a piggyback computer, similar to the unichip but allows the programmer more control over the values he imputs, is derived from the superbikes....GTP193 also has one...

Where did you get the quote for $900?
Cheers
Old 02-09-2004, 00:42   #4 (permalink)

900 is here in melbourne (blackburn). F1 performance.

when u say twin exits do you mean a pipe going out on the driver side and on the passenger side? If so take a look at D&T. They have that setup. Not sure about cost thought.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:20   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Go to the actual exhaust shops ..Not retailers where prices are alittle high..

Like www.liverpoolexhaust.com.au Or www.hitechmufflers.com.au etc...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...

Last edited by ebxr8240; 02-09-2004 at 03:24.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:28   #6 (permalink)

Hi guys i've got a herrod system on my BA XR6 inclueding headers 2.5" stainless hi flow cat and the rest of the stuff $2250 at the time was great, then went and put in the SS cold air induction system with a K&N filter, lots better. U can feel the pull down low and goes from 2500rpm to 5500 VERY quickly, as the speeding tickets will tell u
Have you changed the intake on the 8 ?

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 23:57   #7 (permalink)
On The Edge Of Adhesion

I got quoted $950 for Pacemakers to be fitted to my XR8. I saw their suppliers RRP price for them, $750. This is also stated on page 89 of the latest Performance Ford Mag (Vol4Ed1) with the XR panelvan on the front.

I've been quoted $1650 fitted for a dual 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel cats back system from the same exhaust shop. I think he said they were made by Hurracane or Genie.

Got another quote for a cats back 3" mandrel bent mild steel system, from another shop, for $600 fitted.

There is also an ad in the latest Just Parts Peddler, page 269, that has a BA XR8 3" mandrel bent cats back system for $440 with a 2 year warranty. They also sell BA 6cyl systems, $400 for 2.5" for 182kw engine and $440 for 3" for XR6T.
V8RUMBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 16:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
Hi guys i've got a herrod system on my BA XR6 inclueding headers 2.5" stainless hi flow cat and the rest of the stuff $2250 at the time was great, then went and put in the SS cold air induction system with a K&N filter, lots better. U can feel the pull down low and goes from 2500rpm to 5500 VERY quickly, as the speeding tickets will tell u
Have you changed the intake on the 8 ?
Yes i have the big mouth ss unit... and a bmc filter, with a ts1 module (piggy back computer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust