Ford Forums banner

AU Fairmont Ghia Exhaust...Tickford Option?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TwinPiston 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2000 AU 1 Fairmont Ghia. It is a great car, looks brand new done only 68000km and seems like a good buy at $23000 (feel free to tell me otherwise). One thing that strikes me as curious though is what the hell the previous owner has done to the exhaust. I didn't think inline 6 cyl engines have dual exhausts. I have asked a couple of friends at work that have Tickfords 6's ie. a AU S1 Ghia and AU S3 XR6 VCT and they reckon there cars don't have dual exhausts. If that's the case can someone on here enlighten me as to where it may have come from? Was it a tickford option? The car has sports suspension as well so I'm wondering if it was a package thing. The chrome tip is that off an XR6 ie. lge oval/angled cut. If you can't make it out in the pics it starts with a merged single pipe off the engine via a cat conv and muffler, then into dual via two other mufflers, under the IRS and back into one through the rear resonator and out the tip. I can't really understand what gains you would have, seems like a waste of time to me. Any info would be appreciated.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

See less See more
#2 ·
VXSSV8,
I think you will find all the VCT engined cars have a duel system from about the middle of the car back. If you have a look above the tip there might be a second pipe that has its end capped. The tip is an aftermarket item (or bought OEM then put on after purchase) cause the AU's all have the little oval tip no matter what engine is in it (ie V8 or VCT).

Hope this helps.

Corey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.