Car gets really loud, even when I gently tap the accelerator. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 14:13   #1 (permalink)
The Renegade Heretic

Car gets really loud, even when I gently tap the accelerator.

Hey, I noticed that my 93 Tempo has been getting louder and louder lately. When it's idling, it makes a sputtering kinda noise, that seems to be coming from under the front driver's seat/passenger's seat area.

When I hit the gas (even lightly) it gets REALLY loud. Almost as if I have no exhaust pipe or muffler at all (I do though, so thats not the problem ). I'm thinking it might be a loose connection from my catalytic converter to my exhaust pipe (friend suggests it might just be a bad converter).

I have also noticed that when I start up my car, even with the windows closed and no vents blowing, that I can smell a little exhaust (can only smell it for a minute or two, until I start driving).

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
GStam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 16:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Car gets really loud, even when I gently tap the accelerator.

Sounds like a hole in your system. It may have rotted apart at a joint, likely the catalytic converter. A bad cat wouldn't do that unless it's rotted through- you could gut it and not notice a sound difference with a stock muffler (trust me- I've done it).
Just climb under there and look for the leak... or take it to a local shop. The nearby muffler shop here does free inspections and welds leaks for $20.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:34   #3 (permalink)
The Renegade Heretic

Well, I'm gonna try to put it up on a ramp, or take it to a shop to get it looked at (gonna have em diagnose it for me, then I'll just fix it myself).

Yeah, I know that noise problems like these can be anything from pipes rattling, to holes, and someone suggested that it might be a loose spark plug ?

But $20 sounds really reasonable.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:36   #4 (permalink)
The Renegade Heretic

Well, I got it fixed last night. It would up being a rusted-to-failure flange (in front of converter) that was broken off of one of the bolts holding it in place and rattling against everything.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:17   #5 (permalink)

Glad you got fixed up. Nothing like repairing exhaust leaks. I paid $950 for the system currently on my wagon and three months later the H-pipe tore. I had lost the receipt and the shop denied having done the work, so I was out of luck. Drove on it like that for ten months (couldn't even carry conversation while driving 'cause the tear was aimed right at the cab). I finally brought it in and had it patched up and couldn't believe it was the same car I was driving! But... then I was able to hear other sounds, so I had to get to work tightening a million other things so they'd stop rattling!

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust