Dual exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 13:06   #1 (permalink)

Dual exhaust

i wanna turn the exhaust on my 97 taurus into a dual exhaust. I want two flowmaster 40 series mufflers on each side (where the stock one is and then on the other side) i just need to know which pipes i need to do this and where to get them...thanks!
Ezekiel81923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2003, 13:18   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

PIpes will be a matter of choice for you. Do you have any mods on the car? If so you may want to increase the pipe diameter. If not then i would not go too large. You will actually lose "backpressure" if you go too large.

As far as where to get them. Check out a local exhaust shop.

Do you realize how loud 40 series are?
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 13:35   #3 (permalink)

well i know i need an h-pipe, anything else im not sure. I dont have any mods so pipe size will prolly be 2 1/4" - 2 1/2", in that range i guess. I picked the 40 series specifically because its one of the loudest mufflers flowmaster carries
Old 04-23-2003, 13:37   #4 (permalink)

i know the h-pipe is necessary cuz the mufflers require an h for a dual exhaust...unless they mean if im runnin dual off of one muffler. If it helps u help me, i want it be loud and i want that throaty v8ish sound...nothin ricey
Old 04-23-2003, 13:39   #5 (permalink)

in case ur unclear...this wont be a true dual exhaust where i would need new headers and whatnot...i just know there's a pipe somewhere back there that i can split into two pipes and then bring them out on either side
Old 04-23-2003, 14:03   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

I would not go any larger than 2" but with a single pipe coming off you are not going to do anything with it but restrct the air even more with what you want. There is no reason to dump 2 FM 40's on there. You dont need an H pipe for that application. Not for what you have and what you are going to do. That would be a waste.

I would do it as follows.

single pipe from Engine going as it is into 1 flowmaster.
run that one pipe back to the rear and before or even after the rear suspension split it off in a Y pushing pipes out the left and the right.

What you are wanting to do is going to be a waste of material and time to put it in. You will gain nothing out of it and more than likely will lose power with the way you want to set it up. Just FYI 2.5" is WAY too big for even a pretty highly modded V8 in a Taurus. I would think 2" would be the best bet and a lot easier to bend.

Not to sound like a dick, but that is the meat and potatoes of it.
Old 04-23-2003, 14:10   #7 (permalink)

well how much material is that and what kinda price am i lookin at
Old 04-23-2003, 14:38   #8 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

that you would have to talk to an exhaust shop. I dont sell pipe sorry. You can get you car up and do the measuring and get the lengths that way. I dont own a Taurus so I have no idea on the length needed.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:49   #9 (permalink)

New idea

Someone at another forum gave me this idea and im lookin for more approval. I could get custom pipes bent for $200 at a custom exhaust shop...hopefully mandrel bent. Then i replace my resonator with a glasspack....get two magnaflow hi-flow cat converters and two flowmaster 40 series mufflers...and then of course tips. Thats about $400...not too bad if u ask me...will it work and will it sound anti-ricey but deep and throaty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust