E series Windsor exhaust upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2003, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

E series Windsor exhaust upgrade

Hello everyone.
This thread is targeting owners of E series (specifically EL) Windsor owners with (as close as possible to) that old-school (pre-efi / pre-cat) V8 sound. I need your wisdom!
I currently have the standard headers, cats and Y piece. Then I have an after-market hot-dog baffle muffler and 2 ½ “ mandrel bent pipe out the back. This system has a nice volume but drones a little at 2000 RPM and also just above idle (it's an auto by the way). At WOT it is quite nice but still lacks that pulse-pulse-pulse V8 sound and a bit of volume.
Instead of pursuing endless “maybes” I thought I’d ask about what systems you guys currently have in your cars and what you’d recommend for me.

My first thought was a twin-2 ½ “ X-pipe system but I’ve been down to my favourite exhaust shop just now and he said that clearance is a big issue with the EL and apparently the twin on the GT was only a 2 ¼ system over the axle so he recommended a single system. Does anyone have a twin system on an EL? If so, what size is it and will it foul the axle with superlows?

If I can't get a twin system, then I don’t really want to trash the entire cat-back I’ve got just yet, rather incrementally upgrade it if possible. The first step that I thought was appropriate was to replace the cheap muffler for a better quality one. My exhaust guy said to me that an offset-in offset-out 10x4” (from memory) Lukey straight through would be a good way to go and quoted me $160 incl labour to fit this new muffler.

This sounds like a good starting place to me…. are there any thoughts or opinions to the contrary? Does the price sound reasonable? Does fitting this new muffler to my current system sound like a good way to start reducing drone and increase that V8 throb? What alternatives are there? Do any of you E series Windsor Brisbane guys feel like showing off your exhaust note to give me an idea of what’s possible?
Thanks for your thoughts as always.
!Gn|T|0n

Last edited by !Gn|T|0n; 08-03-2003 at 21:38.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 21:38   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: E series Windsor exhaust upgrade

SParkles has a twin 2.5 on his EL XR8. In my humble opinion single systems are for poofs.

In my time listening to and speccing Windsor exhausts the best sounding mufflers are Magnaflow. USA made - and there's no better place for making V8s sound tuff.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 22:11   #3 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
SParkles has a twin 2.5 on his EL XR8. In my humble opinion single systems are for poofs.
Easy there AP! If I had the cash to get e twin system I would but I can only work with the current single 2 1/2 POS atm.
As soon as cash improves a twin system will on the agenda!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 22:40   #4 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Quote:
In my humble opinion single systems are for poofs.
Your lucky it was just your indeed Humble opinion

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 00:30   #5 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

I am also looking at upgrading my system too as I also have a V8 on my NL Fairlane. After looking through many forums, going to the shop and coming back again, I am saving up for a stainless steel 2.5" single cat back system ($580).

I don't think that is my final decision yet, but I am just saving up the money first up. When I asked about a dual system, the exhaust dude said that the bottom of my car was extremely cramped and it would be pretty hard to get any duals under there, also because my car is long wheelbase. I am not sure if this is correct, or if it is still possible to get a dual system, but for now I am looking at a single 2.5" system...

Now, I am only a young gun so I think this will be a good starting point for me. Later on, I will get the extractors which will cost me $880 fitted aprroximately the same for you I guess) which is a lot (for me!).

As for the muffler and resonator, I didn't quite ask for the brand on that, but hell I'm gonna make sure it is a good brand that makes some noise!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40   #6 (permalink)
F*#K the government

Quote:
In my humble opinion single systems are for poofs.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:10   #7 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

I have a 2 1/4 twin with 2 hi flow cats in a 3" pipe over diff on my
EL XR8. sounds awesome. Mines auto too and i do suffer from a little drone when the car been driven long. Seems to be the case with all autos. dont go the twin 2 1/2 cos u'll get bad drone.
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:26   #8 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

How low is the car? Why the hell was I told that it couldn't be done? So is there a kit that you can get or do you get the pipes made up for you? Is it mandrell bent? How much did it cost you? Are we talking twin system that comes out at either side of the back of the car (what I want) or one where the 2 pipes come out on the same side?

Last edited by !Gn|T|0n; 08-04-2003 at 15:44.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:50   #9 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Are we talking twin system that comes out at either side of the back of the car (what I want) or one where the 2 pipes come out on the same side?
Old 08-04-2003, 15:45   #10 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I had a look on the Magnaflow website. I haven't found any Australian dealers yet... who imports them? I assume I'd be looking at a kit similar to those here http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/c...ks/mustang.htm

Who else has a magnaflow catback? What headers are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust