EF exhaust - needs balls! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2003, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
.au member

EF exhaust - needs balls!

Hey all,

this is about my 3rd post on these forums (so apologies if i've put it in the wrong place), but I've been a bit of a background reader for a while now - congrats to all on some great cars and true aussie ingenuity.

I've got a pretty much stock standard EFII Futura which suits me quite fine (when you're 17 and on your P's attention is good, but not if it's from white cars with red and blue lights), but as of late I'm wanting to really give it a bit more of an intimidation factor to really show up some of the Commonwhores around here!

After having a listen to those auido clips DGROMS.com put up (btw you should be very proud of that car - wanna swap?!), I'm thinking an exhaust upgrade of some sort would do the job very nicely. Keeping in mind it's an I6 with no engine mods at all, what would you guys suggest I enquire about (i.e. what kind of system? cat-back?), what brands should I have a read about, and above all how much am I looking at to get it fully installed?

As cheap as possible would be good, but if there's one out there that is slightly pricey but you guys all swear by, thats good enough convincing for me. Once I have a bit of a look around and decide what I'm gonna get, I'll let you all know how it goes.

But yeh for now, what are some of your suggestions? Thanks!
back2thefutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2003, 06:03   #2 (permalink)
Ford n00b

Re: EF exhaust - needs balls!

I payed $330 for a Redback cat-back system, mandrel bent, 2.5" all the way, with a single muffler, and rear resonator included.

Sounded pretty bloody good (albeit with my limited experience), and no drone. Car felt a shitload more responsive too. Once you hit 2500-3000 revs, the car felt like it just wanted to go.

The bad part? Insurance decided that the policy document is different in Vic, and told me that i couldn't install it, or no insurance.

Pricks. Back to standard for me. Very, very sad.
DeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:40   #3 (permalink)
.au member

deeman,

i think you're also a member of fordmods right? If so you probably know me a little already.

Thats a bugger about the insurance - Ive checked and with NRMA I've pretty much got open slather on whatever I like with only a few guidlines to abide by, which is good.

This 'Redback' sounds like a pretty reputable brand, How widely are they available, and what did you end up doing with your exhaust?
Old 10-02-2003, 05:24   #4 (permalink)
Ford n00b

sadowsky - yeah, there occasionally.

Redback are a very common brand as far as i know, but seem to be of reasonable quality. Had no option to change the insurance co (after making a very recent claim), but as soon as the policy expires, i'll be switching and getting the exact same exhaust back on there again.

The bloke i bought it through had no worries in switching it back to a standard exhaust (Berklee brand) - he put a chrome tip on the end (the normal stock shape), and it didnt' fit, so he swapped it with a Redback instead, and it all went OK.

He even refunded the difference between the sports and standard, even though he had to install the stock muffler twice (the first Berklee, and the replacement redback).
DeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:52   #5 (permalink)
BLitzer - Bitzer

When i was ringing around for prices for exhaust... cheapest i got was $200 for 2.5inch and $350 for Redback

But some were telling me to go with 2.25 inch because i might loose back pressure if i go 2.5inch with no engine mods... well i was wondering if anyone has lost any power?

Two of my mate's run a 2.5inch with no engine mods and no complaints of any loose of power :-\
Old 10-02-2003, 06:12   #6 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

2.25 is great for standard engine, but 2.5 is better if you are planning extractors, cam, induction mods etc

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11   #7 (permalink)
now with EF power!

I paid $190 (fitted) for a 2.5" press bent exhaust with a single muffler.

Sounds heaps loud...doesnt drone in 4th at 100kph (does a s**t load in 3rd tho)

It just makes it sound soo tough its not funny...it'd be good if it was legal :D

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:58   #8 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

If you are not planning to have any mods any time soon, I would say that you stick with a 2.25" system. Even if you got a 2.25" system, it would still be able to be used even if you had cams, extractors etc.

As for brands of the mufflers, look at Magnaflow and Genie which are practically the same. They are straight through mufflers which are the least restrictive and sound really good.

If you like your sound, you could probably get away with only having one muffler and a hotdog.
Old 10-02-2003, 17:34   #9 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

Redback are supposedly good cheap systems. But from what I've heard, there not 100% in the sound department.

I got Lukey extractors, hi-flow cat, Lukey straight through muffler, and chrome tip. All 2 1/2" with no engine mods. Would sound heaps louder if I had a manual though. I gained power and get heaps more kays out of my fuel now too.

Cost me $1050
Old 10-02-2003, 19:11   #10 (permalink)
.au member

thanks for the info guys, im not all that knowledagble on exhausts so this is a big help.

notice there seems to be talk of what you can 'get away with' - what's the laws (NSW) on exhausts? I havent looked into it yet but before I do get anything fitted Ill be making sure its ok. Im presuming they're concerned with volume?

Around $300 seems to be the going rate for Redbacks, I'll make a few calls a little later on (when the money arrives) and see what i can get a hold of round here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust