EF XR6 Exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2001, 20:00   #1 (permalink)

EF XR6 Exhaust

Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions for an EF XR6 exhaust system? I currently have a 2 1/2 system, but it drones. It sounded good outside but in the car, forget it. I had to have a resonator fitted to quieten it down, but now sounds flat and tinny. Any recommendations on systems / makes of mufflers that sounds nice but without the drone. At this stage I am just looking at the cat back.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2001, 14:29   #2 (permalink)
XRFALCON

I have a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with one muffler just after the cat and a hot dog at the rear of the car,doesn't drone for me sound great to.After the muffler its mandrel bent but don't think it makes any differance tho.
Old 09-25-2001, 22:01   #3 (permalink)
ajrs EF XR6

Matt,

Did U go for one of the brand name sports systems? I had a Walker 2 1/2 system and same drone problem. Your best bet is to get one made from a place who know what they are doing and not buy off the shelf.
Old 09-25-2001, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
ajrs EF XR6

Matt,

Did U go for one of the brand name sports systems? I had a Walker 2 1/2 system and same drone problem. Your best bet is to get one made from a place who know what they are doing and not buy off the shelf.
Old 09-26-2001, 06:35   #5 (permalink)
BLU

Matt,
I had a 2 1/2 inch system made up to go on my EF 6 with a set of Genies by Carline at Liverpool.they left out one of the resinators leaving one and one muffler,
It sounds good, reasonably quiet untill you boot it then a nice note, and no droning at any speed.

BLU04L
BLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:29   #6 (permalink)

I've got standard factory exaust on my AU vct and reackon it sounds really horny at around 3000rpm. I reakon those Broadmeadows fella's got it spot on first time. Don't know about the EF system though.
white vct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 13:31   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Matt,

I've just had a 2 1/2 inch. mandrel bend exhaust system fitted to my baby.
Sounds great in my opinion with next to no droan. A very very slight droan between 80-90km/h in fifth gear going up a hill.

The front half of the system is a Mercury with a hotdog just after the cat and a muffler. The rear is an ESA with a muffler just underneath the bumper. So all up it has 3 pots, i'm guessing my system is one of the quieter sounding 2 1/2 inch's around. But it still has that nice engine note under acceleration. When i got mine down i had a choice of 2 front setups and 3 rear setups.

My aim for the system was to get a better flow and more power that the stock without it being too loud and annoying as i think the engine has to dominate the sound rather than exhaust like the ricer boys.
Hope this helps..
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 21:26   #8 (permalink)

I have just had fitted a Red Back 2 1/2 system and it dosnt drone at all .I also fitted the TE50 air intake from Ford which cost me $20 form my local dealer. Now I have a nice tone otu the back and loud induction noise above 3000 rpm in the front with better throttle response all round and this on my EF 4ltr.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 13:46   #9 (permalink)

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I recently had Exhaust Technology (Adelaide) replace the original 2 1/2 inch Berkley muffler with a Magna Flow. It sounds great when driving at low revs, but I need to take it back and have the resonator replaced with a hotdog, as it still sounds a bit tinny when pushed.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 15:36   #10 (permalink)
exodius

hey matt,
keep your 2 and a 1/2 in exhaust.
get some genie extractors (or headers whatever u wanna call them). and a hi flow sports cat or a 2 and a half inch sports cat.

take out 1 muffer, leave 1 resinator at the back, your exhaust will sound like an 8 and you will *definately* feel the difference.

the sports cat (hiflow) is roughly $340, and resinator sometimes free if u can smooth talk otherwise $50-$80. and with that, you should be sweet.

otherwise without extractors, 1 resinator at the back, and 1 muffler, will sound and go smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust