ehaust question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 20:20   #1 (permalink)

ehaust question

I've posted a similar post a while back (semi-long muffler story and questions) but I have my new truck so I need new information.

I recently purchased a gas F250 5.4L triton v8 super duty FX4 and i love it! I need only to customized the exhaust system like all my previous trucks for it to be complete.

I've come into a rut.
On my:
+1997 150 i had a cherrybomb glasspack muffler with imitation dual pipes with 1 cat. converter
+2003 150 i had straight pipes with imitation dual pipes with 3 cat. converters
+2003 F250 i have stock muffler and i think 3 cats as well.
I've called 3-4 autobody/exhaust shops and asked if straight pipes or a cherry bomb glass pack muffler would be louder...and it's been known that autoshops will lie to you for several reasons (to buy their own product/version, or to cut back on noise.). I'm "not" too concerned about performance or backpressure. I "only" want to know which will give me the louder sound.

Hopefully someone can help and be honest as possible. Here is the question in short:
"Which will work better, straight pipes or a cherrybomb glass pack muffler???"

Andrew
lordofdavipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 22:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: ehaust question

Just to note, I care about the noise to the point that i dont go to jail b/c it's toooo loud. So that's why im asking for opinion which is better to have. a straight pipe setup or a glasspack setup? i've never had a 250 so I Dont Know the right answers.

I havent done anything to the new 250 so its stock everything. Here's a cheap paint example.

This is the ideal setup of either straight or cherry

Old 11-23-2007, 20:12   #3 (permalink)

It's really a matter of preference. I would put a real performance muffler (like a dynomax or flowtec) on there because I think cherry bombs sound raspy and straight pipes are too loud.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 20:29   #4 (permalink)

again, just like you said, it's a sole matter of preference, then.

i took sounds of each of my trucks and i'd like to know which one you think sounds better.

97 w/ cherry - http://wandrewc.com/photo_gallery/ga.../truck_rev.wav
03 w/ straight - http://wandrewc.com/photo_gallery/ga...truck_rev1.wav

(if not there, go and click "listen" >>> Life Under Viper's Rocks)

I had to drive my old truck to work the other day and it sounded great, so i think that may work.......sigh, but then again i remember how loud my 97 was (although v6).

tell me what u think after listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust