exaust tips? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 16:55   #1 (permalink)

Question exaust tips?

hey ppl,
my current exaust is just stock apart from a oval tip that is rusted to the max!!! the tip is like wat you see on most stock AU's, i think

my question is can i just get a new chrome tip put on? i know it would be heaps better just to get the whole exaust done but if a shiny tip is cheap i want to get one put on for now

what you think?

thanks
Daniel

mods coming:
* clear front & side blinkers
* exaust
EBII Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Re: exaust tips?

An exhaust shop will charge you next to nothing to fit a nice looking tip, and I think it's a worthy investment.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:22   #3 (permalink)

yea fitting one is 5 bucks, buying one is teh expensive part ...

a nicely suited one for the au is around 80 bucks, i hate the look of the 20 dollar ones
Old 01-29-2005, 16:33   #4 (permalink)

Hey if you put on a fairly large tip....like SS Commodore style oval tip...it will make the sound more..mellow (or at least different) won't it...coz my mates getting a new zorst on his VN cos theres more area of holes in his mufflers than there is of steel. Wher he gets the new zorst (not sure 2.25 or 2.5"), do you think having a large tip will give him the sound hes looking for? (curently has)
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 17:35   #5 (permalink)

exhaust tips do NOT alter exhaust note
Old 01-29-2005, 22:00   #6 (permalink)

thats like saying the bell on a french horn does not alter its sound. Without the bell, it would sound like a kazoo. It MUST alter it somehow....
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
Old 01-29-2005, 22:08   #7 (permalink)

bahahaha

rightio, you keep believing that mate

only resonance bodys within the airflow stream of the exhaust flow alter the resonance and vibration, hence alter the sound. simple tips on the end make it bling bling

and please dont start on those stupid wolf whistle BS fkn tips which make a std exhaust sound like crap, i am talking about proper sports exhausts here
Old 01-30-2005, 01:02   #8 (permalink)

Ok- theory just tested on Mellophone (beginners french horn). Not having the piping and bell ("tip"), it sounds like a kazoo, but is rather quiet.
Add half the piping of the instrument, and it changes the resonant frequencies, only allowing certain pitches. The tube is the same diameter, just about 40cm long as opposed to just the mouth piece (about 5cm). The sound is slightly more mellow, but there is no volume increase.
Add rest of instrument (incl bell) and the volume increase in phenomenal, as in the change in tone. The hissy sound is almost gone and the "buzz" of the lips moving has become a nice mellow note.
When a small funnel was used half way along the instrument tubing, there was a fair increase in volume and the tone was much more mellow than the open tubing alone.
So according to this little experiment, tips DO make a difference. They may not change the PITCH of the note (and note that i never said that it would), but it will change the TONE of the note. Now a tip that is very short and has a sudden step out to a large diameter...well thats just the same as venting into the air. But a tip with a more progressive diameter (cross section for non round tips..) increase over a longer distance WILL alter the sound of the exhaust (NOT THE PITCH THOUGH), as long as its a larger diameter and a fair length. Believe what you want- being a musician for 10+ years has proven enough to me.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
Old 01-30-2005, 02:08   #9 (permalink)

there is a bit of a difference between a musical instrument and an automotive exhaust system
Old 01-30-2005, 04:57   #10 (permalink)

Less than you'd think- pressure waves travelling down a tube. In that respect, they're both the same, in which case, they must follow the same laws of physics.
Change the tube length, the harmonic (standing) waves that can form in the tube change. This has an effect on what revs the exhaust is loud or quiet.
Change how the tube ends (plain cutoff like a normal exhaust, or a broadening to a plain cutoff like the bell of an instrument) and it changes the tone of the sound coming out- the bell takes that harshness off the note- thats why a french horn or tuba have such a mellow, smooth tone, whereas a trumpet or cornet has a much harsher sound. (you'll note that romantic music is mostly french horns, and action is mostly trumpets etc. )
Broadening it like that also has a dramatic effect on volume- its just like talking through one of those cone things (precursor to megaphone)
The length of the tube also changes the tone of the note, which is why a Porche engine (with a short exhaust) sounds harsh compared to most other 6 cyl engines of the same performance level.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust