Exhaust different sides Ford vs Holden - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Exhaust different sides Ford vs Holden

I have noticed that nearly all Holdens have the exhaust pipe on the passenger side, and the nearly all Fords have the exhaust on the driver side.

Why?

Ford have a straight six and the exhaust is the drivers side so far enough less bends is better, even the Ford V8 is driver side (99.9% sure), but holden have a V6 (100% positive on this one) and a V8 (99.9% sure) and use passenger side.

Small cars also seem to follow suit, have a look yourself.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 16:49   #2 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Re: Exhaust different sides Ford vs Holden

Yeah I have noticed that too Dellboy and have found it strange....with my lack of technical prowess though, I can't provide an answer.
Old 02-19-2004, 16:54   #3 (permalink)

Is is usually something to do with whether the car is primarily designed for left or RHD? The Commodore as we know is based on the platform for the Opel Omega in Europe and the engine is a US design - both LHD markets.

The Ford inline 6 apparently would have issues with steering component placement with the I6 in LHD application. The exhaust exits the engine on the right, the V6 Commy has exhaust manifolds both sides. The Ford V8s would be setup for right side exhaust exit as the underbody is set up that way for the 6, so they'd follow the same path for the V8 as much as possible.

I suppose it's just the way they were made when the floorplan was designed
Old 02-19-2004, 18:07   #4 (permalink)
{';'}

I have also noticed this and wondered why. I found that most of the cars I see have an exhaust that exits on the passenger side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 18:52   #5 (permalink)

The fuel tank fillers are on opposite sides too, which maybe why the exhaust pipe travels on the opposite side of that, however with dual exhaust systems I am not sure if they just exit on opposite sides and travel down the same side.....hmmmm I am not sure...is this called knit picking?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 19:02   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I may be off track here but I think it relates to having the exhaust on the side of the car away from the side of the road & pedestrians etc, and the fuel filler on the side closest, which may date from when petrol bowsers used to be installed on the side of the road before service stations. Obviously the origin of the car in question and which side of the road driven on in its home country is relevant, eg Commodore based on Opel  Germany lhd.

Of course, it is convenient when the 2 most common makes of car have the fuel filler on opposite sides when youre lining up at the service station!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:12   #7 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Yes went to fill up my wifes VY last night and pulled up with the bowser on the left as I would in mine. BLOODY HOLDEN.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:13   #8 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Driven a few Holdens (not mine!) and have to say that the fuel filler being on the drivers side in a bit of a pain, as some fuel stations have these poles next to the bowser and after you pull up and open the door, you tend not to see them and hit the door. Also, a bit cramped for room if you park too close. The Falcon fuel filler being on the passenger side is a much better idea, but then again, driving a Falcon is a better idea.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 22:05   #9 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

not sure about twin exhaust cars, but most cars have fuel filler and exhaust on different sides.
Normally fuel flap on "footpath" side and exhaust on "middle of road" side for primary market.
Japan of course is RHD country as is britain and Oz. So Falcon and japanese and english cars match, Commies being primarily Opel designed tends to match euro and yank designs.
And they say commodores are "aussie cars for aussie conditions..yeh rite"
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 00:56   #10 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Most jap cars are on the passenger side as well.

I'd say the reason for the Commodore having the exhaust on the left is from the Holden red/blue/black six days, where the exhaust was on the left. It might also be to do with the exhaust passing under the left, not under the drivers feet like the falcon. I remember V8Supercars having a lot of troubles with heat getting transferred into the cabin from underneath the driver, hence why HRT and several other teams have the exhaust on the passenger side.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust