Ford Forums banner

Exhaust different sides Ford vs Holden

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
I have noticed that nearly all Holdens have the exhaust pipe on the passenger side, and the nearly all Fords have the exhaust on the driver side.

Why?

Ford have a straight six and the exhaust is the drivers side so far enough less bends is better, even the Ford V8 is driver side (99.9% sure), but holden have a V6 (100% positive on this one) and a V8 (99.9% sure) and use passenger side.

Small cars also seem to follow suit, have a look yourself.

Jason

#3 ·
Is is usually something to do with whether the car is primarily designed for left or RHD? The Commodore as we know is based on the platform for the Opel Omega in Europe and the engine is a US design - both LHD markets.

The Ford inline 6 apparently would have issues with steering component placement with the I6 in LHD application. The exhaust exits the engine on the right, the V6 Commy has exhaust manifolds both sides. The Ford V8s would be setup for right side exhaust exit as the underbody is set up that way for the 6, so they'd follow the same path for the V8 as much as possible.

I suppose it's just the way they were made when the floorplan was designed

#5 ·
The fuel tank fillers are on opposite sides too, which maybe why the exhaust pipe travels on the opposite side of that, however with dual exhaust systems I am not sure if they just exit on opposite sides and travel down the same side.....hmmmm I am not sure...is this called knit picking?

#6 ·
I may be off track here but I think it relates to having the exhaust on the side of the car away from the side of the road & pedestrians etc, and the fuel filler on the side closest, which may date from when petrol bowsers used to be installed on the side of the road before service stations. Obviously the origin of the car in question and which side of the road driven on in its home country is relevant, eg Commodore based on Opel  Germany lhd.

Of course, it is convenient when the 2 most common makes of car have the fuel filler on opposite sides when you’re lining up at the service station!

#8 ·
Driven a few Holdens (not mine!) and have to say that the fuel filler being on the drivers side in a bit of a pain, as some fuel stations have these poles next to the bowser and after you pull up and open the door, you tend not to see them and hit the door. Also, a bit cramped for room if you park too close. The Falcon fuel filler being on the passenger side is a much better idea, but then again, driving a Falcon is a better idea. :angel:

#9 ·
not sure about twin exhaust cars, but most cars have fuel filler and exhaust on different sides.
Normally fuel flap on "footpath" side and exhaust on "middle of road" side for primary market.
Japan of course is RHD country as is britain and Oz. So Falcon and japanese and english cars match, Commies being primarily Opel designed tends to match euro and yank designs.
And they say commodores are "aussie cars for aussie conditions..yeh rite"

#10 ·
Most jap cars are on the passenger side as well.

I'd say the reason for the Commodore having the exhaust on the left is from the Holden red/blue/black six days, where the exhaust was on the left. It might also be to do with the exhaust passing under the left, not under the drivers feet like the falcon. I remember V8Supercars having a lot of troubles with heat getting transferred into the cabin from underneath the driver, hence why HRT and several other teams have the exhaust on the passenger side.

#11 ·
AFAIK, both the Ford and Holden sixes originate from US designs (LHD market) so I don't think it has anything to do with which side of the road we drive on. The Holden sixes had the exhaust ports on the left side and therefore the ehxaust was on that side of the car whereas the Falcon six has always had the exhaust ports on the right side of the head and therefore the pipes on the right side of the car. The fact the two companies differ now is more likely just a carry over from those days. It might also differentiate them I suppose (not 100% one this last comment).

#14 ·
what about precrossflow... exhaust was o hte lleft.....

i love my xe... fillet is in the middle, dontmatter where i pull up.... and i dont have a ugly filler on the side of the car

#15 ·
A Real V8 has a pipe each side..........

#16 ·
Steve said:
AFAIK, both the Ford and Holden sixes originate from US designs (LHD market) so I don't think it has anything to do with which side of the road we drive on. The Holden sixes had the exhaust ports on the left side and therefore the ehxaust was on that side of the car whereas the Falcon six has always had the exhaust ports on the right side of the head and therefore the pipes on the right side of the car. The fact the two companies differ now is more likely just a carry over from those days. It might also differentiate them I suppose (not 100% one this last comment).
The Commie six was origanally design to be mounted transversally for front drives wasn't it?

#17 · (Edited)
MaD_WoG said:
what about precrossflow... exhaust was o hte lleft.....

i love my xe... fillet is in the middle, dontmatter where i pull up.... and i dont have a ugly filler on the side of the car
No, the inlet was changed, not the exhaust. Have a look at an old Falcon (pre Xflow) and the inlet was on the other side.

#18 · (Edited)
ford.boy said:
The Commie six was origanally design to be mounted transversally for front drives wasn't it?
I'm going back to the old grey and red sixes, pre Commodore. Besides, the original Opel the Commodore was based on was a RWD and the early Commodores (VB, VC etc) had the same old straight sixes, hell they even had the old Crossfire (backfire) fours for a little while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.