exhaust leak, serious or not that big a deal? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 07:13   #1 (permalink)

exhaust leak, serious or not that big a deal?

Obviously a car shouldn't have an exhaust leak, but mine has a small one. It's around the exhaust manifold heat shield. Apparently, one of the studs fell in there, so there is very small spot where some exhaust comes out around the exhaust manifold heat shield.

It's not alot of smoke, and none of it will come out of the hood when I'm driving. It doesn't seem to be affecting the car's performance, but It would be nice to get this fixed.

Is it a very big deal? Should I get out and fix it?

What do you think is the best course of action? Just replace the manifold with headers, or take off the manifold, get that stud out of there, put on a new gasket, and put it all back together? Thanks guys.
dirtytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 08:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: exhaust leak, serious or not that big a deal?

it can eventually become a big deal, largely due to the extra heat flowing into your engine bay.

The best course of action depends on your goals with the vehicle. If you were eventually going to do headers anyway, then now is a great time, but if you weren't, then repairing the manifold is probably cheaper.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 18:17   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtytaco
Obviously a car shouldn't have an exhaust leak, but mine has a small one. It's around the exhaust manifold heat shield. Apparently, one of the studs fell in there, so there is very small spot where some exhaust comes out around the exhaust manifold heat shield.

It's not alot of smoke, and none of it will come out of the hood when I'm driving. It doesn't seem to be affecting the car's performance, but It would be nice to get this fixed.

Is it a very big deal? Should I get out and fix it?

What do you think is the best course of action? Just replace the manifold with headers, or take off the manifold, get that stud out of there, put on a new gasket, and put it all back together? Thanks guys.
Fix it now , if the gas gets into your cab it's driving while asleep time ...

have you heard the one about

"I would like to pass on like my Grandfather in his sleep

not screaming like his passengers."
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 19:42   #4 (permalink)

hehe, i keep the windows up at all times. I would not want to die that way however. THe car is an 89 ford probe lx 2.2L automatic non turbo.

I drive the car strictly for economy, i am not someone who races the car under any circumstances. This exhaust leak wasn't seen by myself when i bought the car,and wasn't mentioned by the previous owner. Live and learn i guess. I definately should've done a better inspection, and not rushed it, but you learn something new everyday, and I will never do that again.

Anyways, I have seen Pacesetter headers on several sites in the price range of $169 for my model, along with free shipping. I am not looking to increase the speed of the car, but if it increases fuel economy slightly, that would make me happy. Yes, I am willing to spend $170 to stop that exhaust manifold leak. I know that removing the manifold and installing the headers would stop the leak.

My only real questions are, is putting the exhaust headers on a difficult task? Is it something i could do along with my dad in our driveway?

We are both very mechanically inclined, and have done plenty of other work on the car, just nothing this complex. I have a haynes manual, which shows how to take off the exhaust manifold, and the pacesetter headers come with instructions. Sorry for the long post, but again, thank you all very much for the previous and future responses.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:31   #5 (permalink)

pacesetter are crap and won't last a year.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:51   #6 (permalink)

hehe, if i found another brand that was a little better?
Old 10-12-2006, 19:36   #7 (permalink)

if it is leaking at the head to manifold area it can cause big problems. the air pushing through there will begin to make your surface unflat and will begin to cause the issue to get worse later. this is more of a concern with the aluminum heads but does apply to cast as well
RT boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03   #8 (permalink)

I have an ebay header on mine. Some people may call ebay stuff crap, but i strongly reccomend it. My corolla header/downpipe was 105 bucks shipped with 1/2in flanges, stainless bolts, high quality stainless tubing, bolted in perfect. I got my by a company called dynasty auto. I also have thier 2.5in catback. It sounds ultra sexy and cost me under 300 bucks for the whole thing.
9"
No A/C, Bench Seat, Crank windows, Just the way I like it.
TorinoSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 22:36   #9 (permalink)

ABSOLUTLY fix the leak. Windows down, or up, the exhaust gas CAN get in, and it can kill you, your passengers and maybe anyone unlucky enough to be hit by your car!

It sounds like you are on the right track though, good luck.

P.S. my dad died in an exhaust leaky car.
ZH 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust