Exhaust Pipe Size Could Void Insurance. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 22:45   #1 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Exhaust Pipe Size Could Void Insurance.

I have a Herrods cats back stainless steel exhaust on my BA XR8 ute. The insurance was due so I thought I better mention the cats back system to RACQ. When they asked what size the pipes were I said 2.5"... and they said are you sure....I said yes why? Then they proceeded to tell me if the pipes were any larger than 2.5" RACQ will not insure the vehicle because it is classified as a high performance vehicle with a modified exhaust.

...and it is no use telling them that a Boss engine is back pressure sensitive (that is if you fit a 3" exhaust thinking you are going to get more power) because they don't care....they only go what is in front of them in black and white on their computers.

So be warned guys....check your insurance companies out before fitting those big pipes.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 22:52   #2 (permalink)
Movin!

Re: Exhaust Pipe Size Could Void Insurance.

I didnt rod, i didnt tell them at all!!

Stuff them, they only want an excuse to bump up a few more hundred to the premium, things such as that arent gonna make it some supercar compared to stock. A cats back system is only for noise anyway, you will get better sounds but bugger all gain

I only have the 2.5" anyway, but all my mods are bolt on som they can be taken off pretty quick...
Old 05-17-2004, 22:57   #3 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Rodderz, they don't want extra money...they just won't insure you...and the thing is if they are smart enough to check out your mods after a prang they won't want to know about a claim...
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 00:32   #4 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Yeah you pretty much can't win with those bastards, especially if you're young. You can tell them about all your mods and not get covered... OR you can not tell them about your mods and not get paid out in a claim. I guess in Rodderz case he just has to hope any prang is a minor one he can drive away from and un-mod his car before the insurance gets involved.

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55   #5 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

This is not new!! its been going on for years, If they kick up a stink just go to somone else, they dont have to give you insurance & you dont have to take, so go shopping mate.
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55   #6 (permalink)

Ummmmmmm you should be asking your insurance what impact each mod has before getting the mod done! or else you could be in for a real shock.

Sounds a bit silly to be paying $X per year for insurance when in reality you are not actually being insured......
Old 05-18-2004, 02:44   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Insurance companies are nothing but con artists. They will happily take your money but when it comes time to pay up they will do whatever it takes to avoid paying you out.

On another note how do insurance companies get around anti descrimination laws, because they descriminate against younger drivers by making them pay more than older people on the same rating. It seems justified because younger people are more likely to be involved in an accident but it seems like age descrination to me.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:46   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

I went in and asked RACV the other day about insuring my car.
I was quite surprised when they said that they would not have any probs with my car, even with the 17's, big brakes, lowering, exaust, body kit.
They went through their writing with me and it all worked out good.
They said it would cost me $550 to insure it for $14000 agree'd value, with all the mods on the policy.
It was very surprising.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 21:57   #9 (permalink)

Hey guys,

I've Modified my XR8 with a custom-made Geddes 3" Big Bore Exhaust, and Stainless Extractors. And yes there is plenty of Rumble enough to make the Lion seem like a kitten. Anyway theres no prob with the suit and ties here, all formalities aside the LTSA are gonna ban this type of muffler in October, The way around it is to Certify your ride with a "Hot Rod" cert, No noise limits of course bigger premiums (which occur when you crash) but hey if you've got enogh to hot these babies up, you have enough to pay the bills.

Sweet... LORD4D
lord4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 23:33   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord4d
No noise limits of course bigger premiums (which occur when you crash)
Still have the ADR noise limit, and I think you mean a bigger excess, the premium is what your policy costs you, the excess is what you contribute to a claim. Not trying to be a wet blanket, but just a couple of points.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust

« exhaust | Exhaust »