Ford Forums banner

Exhaust Pipe Size Could Void Insurance.

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Jamie XR6 
#1 ·
I have a Herrods cats back stainless steel exhaust on my BA XR8 ute. The insurance was due so I thought I better mention the cats back system to RACQ. When they asked what size the pipes were I said 2.5"... and they said are you sure....I said yes why? Then they proceeded to tell me if the pipes were any larger than 2.5" RACQ will not insure the vehicle because it is classified as a high performance vehicle with a modified exhaust.

...and it is no use telling them that a Boss engine is back pressure sensitive (that is if you fit a 3" exhaust thinking you are going to get more power) because they don't care....they only go what is in front of them in black and white on their computers.

So be warned guys....check your insurance companies out before fitting those big pipes.

#2 ·
I didnt rod, i didnt tell them at all!!

Stuff them, they only want an excuse to bump up a few more hundred to the premium, things such as that arent gonna make it some supercar compared to stock. A cats back system is only for noise anyway, you will get better sounds but bugger all gain

I only have the 2.5" anyway, but all my mods are bolt on som they can be taken off pretty quick...

#4 ·
Yeah you pretty much can't win with those bastards, especially if you're young. You can tell them about all your mods and not get covered... OR you can not tell them about your mods and not get paid out in a claim. I guess in Rodderz case he just has to hope any prang is a minor one he can drive away from and un-mod his car before the insurance gets involved.

#5 ·
This is not new!! its been going on for years, If they kick up a stink just go to somone else, they dont have to give you insurance & you dont have to take, so go shopping mate.

#6 ·
Ummmmmmm you should be asking your insurance what impact each mod has before getting the mod done! or else you could be in for a real shock.

Sounds a bit silly to be paying $X per year for insurance when in reality you are not actually being insured......

#7 ·
Insurance companies are nothing but con artists. They will happily take your money but when it comes time to pay up they will do whatever it takes to avoid paying you out.

On another note how do insurance companies get around anti descrimination laws, because they descriminate against younger drivers by making them pay more than older people on the same rating. It seems justified because younger people are more likely to be involved in an accident but it seems like age descrination to me.

#8 ·
I went in and asked RACV the other day about insuring my car.
I was quite surprised when they said that they would not have any probs with my car, even with the 17's, big brakes, lowering, exaust, body kit.
They went through their writing with me and it all worked out good.
They said it would cost me $550 to insure it for $14000 agree'd value, with all the mods on the policy.
It was very surprising.

#9 ·
Hey guys,

I've Modified my XR8 with a custom-made Geddes 3" Big Bore Exhaust, and Stainless Extractors. And yes there is plenty of Rumble enough to make the Lion seem like a kitten. Anyway theres no prob with the suit and ties here, all formalities aside the LTSA are gonna ban this type of muffler in October, The way around it is to Certify your ride with a "Hot Rod" cert, No noise limits of course bigger premiums (which occur when you crash) but hey if you've got enogh to hot these babies up, you have enough to pay the bills.

Sweet... LORD4D

#11 ·
Just cars want $5800 for a modded Ba xr8 for a 19 yr old and im actually considering it. Most mods could be taken off in a decent accident, just ask the towie if hell let you touch the car after he tow's it, if not next please. You have 24 hours to make a claim once you crash so i am told.

#12 ·
GIO told them i am lowered they didnt ask me how low, told them about 19's that was fine because there 8 inch wide $3500 cover on the wheels, $1500 cover on my stereo and the rest is stock lol...$1200 premium best ever.... rating one in a high risk area

#13 ·
XRQTOR said:
Just cars want $5800 for a modded Ba xr8 for a 19 yr old and im actually considering it. Most mods could be taken off in a decent accident, just ask the towie if hell let you touch the car after he tow's it, if not next please. You have 24 hours to make a claim once you crash so i am told.
Don't risk it. Major accidents must be reported to the police. Even if you don't want to, the other party might.

Ask yourself...is it worth paying $5800pa and RISK it not being insured when you actually need to make a claim?

it might look a bit odd if your chassis is completely bent and the exhaust system that you changed over (after the accident) is 100% :wnc:

#14 ·
Na i dont mean zorst just chip cai u/d pullies. I had a very minor prang a few weeks back i didnt want coppers involved, the clown i hit wanted me charged then when wanted me booked. My f*ck up ill pay the bill, he was told take it this shop which he knows (Big local sponser) and he was told the bill is covered rang the cops again he isnt gonna pay. Cops get the shits and tell him to pissoff, he bugs the repair shop they tell him if i dont pay they'll wear the bill. Then the shop tells him to piss off, his car was down there the next day being worked on at 7:00am just 12 hours after the accident and got it back in 2 days. Man some people are goodie 2shoes. Cut it short cops got told for no reason both cars were fixed and paid for, i dunno it couldnt have been any easier for this bloke besides me hitting him.

#15 ·
The reason was to keep insurance out of it, car is in dads business name caz no one wanted to touch a 18 yr old with an Xr8 now i know why. Besides that man they were some nice jubblies.

#16 ·
I went in and asked RACV the other day about insuring my car.
I was quite surprised when they said that they would not have any probs with my car, even with the 17's, big brakes, lowering, exaust, body kit.
They went through their writing with me and it all worked out good.
They said it would cost me $550 to insure it for $14000 agree'd value, with all the mods on the policy.
It was very surprising.
Ive found RACV too be really good too... im insured with them for my xr6, third party fire and theft up to 8k for 270 odd bucks.... all that for a 16yo... bargain!!! :s6: other companies were quoting me 2k for the same cover :AAHHH:

#17 ·
Mines for full comp, wish i lived in vic insurance seems much cheaper there. Oh get this New BAxr8 must have a 2 point immobilizer fitted, but if quicktrac or any other sat tracking feature is installed they could care. They care enought to have an immobileizer but not tracking.

#18 ·
sbutler said:
This is not new!! its been going on for years, If they kick up a stink just go to somone else, they dont have to give you insurance & you dont have to take, so go shopping mate.
......but what I am saying is if you do have an accident with a vehicle which you have fitted a 3" system too....it is to late to change insurance companys then.

#20 ·
i just crashed, claim went through but i lost all my goodies

#21 ·
I went through this with my insurance company when I had the Herrod system fitted to my AUII.

First of all they said they wouldn't insure me. Then when I told them that it was ordered through, and fitted by Ford they asked for the details.

They said that it couldn't be 2.5" bigger than the original exhaust. I said "No problem, it's a 2.5" system".

They then asked what was the size of the original exhaust. I said that it didn't matter as the new one was 2.5" so it is physically impossible that it could be 2.5" bigger.

They weren't happy with that, so I had to ring a Ford dealer to find out what the original size was. I rang the insurance company to tell them what Ford said and they were happy.

I haven't bothered to tell them about the Herrod one on my Turbo. It's 2.5" and was fitted by Ford with the paperwork to back me up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.