Exhaust problems..can you help? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2004, 19:15   #1 (permalink)
crown vic. LTD

Question Exhaust problems..can you help?

hello...thanks in advance for viewing this tread...i have a 1986 crown vic LTD (5.0L)...i recently had the Y-exhaust pipe replaced, and the car ran fine...a week later i kept hear this airy noise comming from my engine...it was my emissions AIR PUMP CHECK VALVE, it was busted...so i went to auto zone and bought a new one, put it on my car and ta da...my car won't work when i take it off the car runs fine, i can even drive it. it just won't accelarate much when i push on the gas.(you can hear the air flowing hard from the engine when you push the gas) i took the emissions assembly apart to figure out where the exhaust air was comming from and where it was going. below is a drawing of the assembly and the air flow direction (i did it myself so please excuse the bad drawing lol) i don't know all the parts names but it is the assembly starting from the air pump check valve to the part that has the belt turning it...click here (if you do not see the picture please click here exhaust as you can see no air is coming thru the air pump check valve, i don't know if that is how its suppose to be but i do know that my car won't work when i put the part on. the way the air is flowing just doe'snt seem right to me...and i'm wondering if it has anything to do with part #1....heres what happens when i crank the car with the assembly fully assembled.........the engine starts to shake off and on and then aventually dies out....can anyone help me? please reply or email me at freelane704@aol.com .. thanks for your help.

MR.FORD
mr.ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2004, 19:39   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: Exhaust problems..can you help?

air pump? You mean on the emissions? Or do you have auto level rear air bags (was a option and had a air pump on the fan belt). How far are you from belleville michigan?
BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
crown vic. LTD

yeah the air pump check valve is on the emissions system. the assembly of hose's ends at the at the part on the fan belt (is that the air pump? i'm not sure)
Old 07-24-2004, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
crown vic. LTD

i'm in North carolina
Old 07-24-2004, 20:18   #5 (permalink)
That guy

no no no its not a air check valve. Its a filter just before the thermactor air system bypass seloniode (I can't spell for crap), you have it as part one. The image just loaded. I got about 20 of those pieces of crap. You can clean those with cleaner degreaser. The stuff you have in blue "V" is in the wrong direction (goes down). The pink "V" in the hose between the filter and the thermactor crapy la do da thingy is the wrong direction too (goes toward the front of car). Your putting force on the engine and it cause it to stall. The entire line you drew connects to the back of the heads, exhaust side. Every time the exhaust valve opens it puts some exhaust in that tube to be tested by sensor to adjust the engine fuel/air mixture. It rarely goes bad and is really not needed unless you live in a emission zone state. when the tube is left wide open it loses back pressure and will perform bad. I think all you need to do is flip it over, all will be fine.
Old 07-24-2004, 20:21   #6 (permalink)
That guy

Also, the plug/wire you refer to is a vacuum line. I made a mistake. The emission isn't fuel/air mixture, thats the O2 sensor. The emission just burns what ever gas is left in the exhaust. It gets real messy but last some time.
Old 07-24-2004, 21:01   #7 (permalink)
crown vic. LTD

Thank you for your help..your greatly appreacited..when you say "flip it over" what excactly are you referring to? and the "v"s referring air flow why they be going the wrong way? you think the thermactor air system bypass selonoide may be broken? i took that selonoide (part 1) to auto zone earlier today thay called it something else but the part was $91.00 (yeah, really) i will try to clean it like you say.
Old 07-24-2004, 21:11   #8 (permalink)
crown vic. LTD

also that part in the crown vic book at auto zone is listed as a air pump check valve..if the part is'nt on no exhaust comes out the exhaust pipe...when i put it on the exhaust comes out but the car won't stay on....and if exhaust is coming thru part 2(filter/valve) does that mean i need to replace it to? thanks again for your help
Old 07-24-2004, 21:25   #9 (permalink)
That guy

I'll e-mail you tomorrow. Its 12:30 am here, past my bed time :( I'll e-mail you in 20 hours, my 8 pm, I think. Time to snatch some sheepies.
Old 07-24-2004, 21:29   #10 (permalink)
crown vic. LTD

ok..thanks alot, talk to you then :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust