Exhaust Problems (I think) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2001, 05:08   #1 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Exhaust Problems (I think)

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new here, but I'm guessing some of you guys would pretty much know my car inside out! :) It's a 96 series 1 EL Futura wagon with dual fuel. I just recently had extractors fitted to the factory exhaust system - ie keeping factor middle mufflers and piping etc. I have found that when I accelarate (not hard) and then take my foot off (but not brake) and then attempt to accelerate again, I find that it actually decelerates and then kicks in about a split second later.

Theories I have come up with:

- Maybe my middle mufflers (factory) are restricting the flow and perhaps causing some kind of back-pressure ?

- The ECU hasn't had time to adjust / learn the changes in the system ?

Any feedback / input from you lads and lasses would be most appreciated :)

Thanx,
Steve
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2001, 14:54   #2 (permalink)

Does it do this on fuel or gas or both?
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
Does it do this on fuel or gas or both?
My exact question! Changes in scavenging effect by the new exhaust may cause issues with vacuum in the intake. Gas is notorious for being very sensitive to inlet vacuum changes.....

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 21:23   #4 (permalink)

Hi lads,

Thanx for replying - appreciated :) This is going to sound a bit silly, but I haven't even put it on petrol..well..because I have none at the moment! I'll put some in this arvo and see! The thing is that GRA dyno tuned everything etc and one would think that they would know what they're on about! It's a bit of a nuisance, because now I have to go all the way back to GRA for what I was told a problem with the converter :? *scratches head* Anywho, I'm going to do that today - I'll let you know the verdict later tonight :)

Thanx again,
Steve
Old 10-24-2001, 23:54   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

I had dual fuel on my EA. There was always a second delay when I planted it while running LPG.

if you dont run Petrol for a while - you might need to fill the tank up completely with fresh stuff.
I couldnt start my car on petrol once (I had just put $5 worth in) and it turned out to be that the 15 or so litres that was in there was stale... For those of you who dont know what stale petrol smells like - I hope you never have to find out!!!!!!!!

Oh - and here is a hint... if you ever have problems starting the car when its cold - pour hot water over the converter. sometimes when its pretty cold, the converter will be so cold that the LPG inside it freezes up...

:D :D
Old 10-26-2001, 16:12   #6 (permalink)

Thanx for the info XR8chic - I actuially went down to GRA on Thursday arvo and they had a bit of a tweak - basically the converter even with the balance line was not tuned for the extractors fitted and so there was a delay in the LPG getting to the throttle body - ie it may have been vacumed back into the converter. The thing is that I was *told* the factory converter does all the adjustment and the throttle body pretty much just sucks in the fuel, however GRA's LPG throttle body works the other way around - ie the converter acts as a supply of fuel and their throttle body does all the micing etc - it's apparently more refined etc.

Don't know if this makes any sense, but the converter is factory and hence 5 years old, so maybe it's a fair call to upgrade to the new unit - any thoughts ppl ?

Cheers,
Steve

PS, XR8chic - Hot water over the converter 'eh ? I do have trouble starting it in the mornings but usually second go is a winner on the gas :) I'll bear that in mind though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust