Exhaust shops in MELB - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 08:18   #1 (permalink)

Exhaust shops in MELB

Anyone know of any reputable exhaust shops in melbourne? Can any one give me any experiences and prices?
I want to change my brand new twin 2 1/4 system with no balance pipe and tripple flow mufflers, to a twin 2 1/2 with balance pipe and straight through mufflers. (stuff the EPA)
The reason being that my last last dyno tune made 270 rwhp @ 5000 rpm and ran out of puff.
The cam dynamics cam (234/244 and 562/588) and the large amount of headwork done, should produce more rpm. I'm running a holley 750dp, edelbrock performer, and pacemaker tri y extractors. I'm running a holley blue fuel pump and a regraphed ICE electronic dizzy.
I think, one problem that caused the 5000rpm dropoff was a faulty valve in the fuel cap that didn't allow air to enter through the cap into the tank when the fuel was being delivered to the motor. Thus creating a vacuum lock in the tank. This has been rectified.
The other problem may be under exhausting. Any ideas will be muchly appreciated.
Thanks fellas.
andrewcrocos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 08:21   #2 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Re: Exhaust shops in MELB

where abouts in melbourne are you?

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 16:18   #3 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

i recommend MIDAS in croydon. i got myself a proper GT dual 2.5 inch exhaust with a balance pipe, with twin performance mufflers for about $400 - $450. the chrome tips were an extra $50 for the pair. they did a good job fitting, and got the pipes as straight as ive seen before.
Old 10-21-2003, 17:27   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I can recommend Hallam Performance AKA Barney's Exhausts. They have their own dyno aswell.

My guess is your performer manifold and Tri-y's killed your power.

Performer starts to die off @ 5000 and it completely dead around 5500. Tri Y's make all th torque down low and kill your topend hp.

That camshaft also drops off @ 5800, so depending on where it's dialed in depends on where your power ceases.

With the same cam/manifold and extractor setup my mate made 212rwkw (284hp) @ 5400rpm.

If you want more you'll need:

a) single plane manifold
b) 4-1's
c) bigger cam (solid)

Brenden

Last edited by brenx; 10-21-2003 at 17:34.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 00:08   #5 (permalink)

I live in chelsea.

Brenx- My mate went to Barney's exhaust and asked him to make a customise set of headers and exhaust for his 11sec AC cobra cleveland. Barney completely stuffed it with wrong size piping.
But, I have also heard of alot of good things about him. Alot of peoiple swear by him. Is he still in business???
Do you think it would be a good idea to get the 2.5 inch exhaust set up? Or am I better off just getting a balance pipe and straight through mufflers on my 2 1/4?
What 2V single plane inlet manifold do you recommend for a 6000rpm ceiling? The cam timing is dot to dot.

Anyone else have any other experiences???????
Old 10-22-2003, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Rare for Barney to stuff it. I've seen quite a few sets of custom headers made by Barney. He's even modified my extractors.

Yes he's still in business, Barney works out of Hallam Performance. My XB's system is a 12mth old Barney's Exhaust's exhaust.

2 1/4" if it's a very mild V8 and trying to keep semi legal. Which yours aint :)

2 1/2" with balance pipe should waken it up nicely. A set of 4-1's wouldn't hurt either.

With that cam I personally wouldn't change the manifold. As it'd soften the low down, which would require more rpm.

Your next step single plane wise would be a Weiand Xcellerator.

Also if your cars an auto? It'd be very fast with a 3000rpm histall and 3.7 gears in the bum. <--Prefered setup for strip. Should blow off my current best 1/4 time or get damn close.

I did think of another exhaust place. There is a new place opened up in Amberley Ave Dandenong. They do street/strip systems etc. Quite a few nice cars in there when I last looked. Might be worth a try? Feed back would be appreciated if you do?

[edit] Forgot to add your borderline on requiring an electric fuel pump. To keep up with the fuel supply. Mechanical pumps only cope to about 5800.

Brenden

Last edited by brenx; 10-22-2003 at 01:03.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:34   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

I would recommend these guys..its a bit out where you are but they are spot on ..could not fault the work they did on my ESP

Sun-Ex Performance

ADDRESS
32 Station St
Sunbury
VIC, 3429
Australia

Ph: (03) 9744 4000

They fitted to my 302 clevo:

Stainless Steel Genie Extractors
2 1/2 inch stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust
stainless steel straight through Genie Muffler
Stainless steel Genie 3inch tip

The car was low and the system was fitted spot on and tucked in nicely..it never scapped once.

They are REMUS and Genie distributors as well as normal jobs
xeespghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:41   #8 (permalink)

Brenx- Thanx for the info. Very helpful :-)
The xc is running a toploader with 3.5 lsd 9 inch disc brake. As for 1/4 times, I have problem getting traction as I can't go any wider than 225/60/15 on my 8inch globes on the ass without rubbing on the wheel arch. Something to do with large offset. :-(
I have to try to get 5800 rpm out of the motor as my top speed is only 175kmph @ 5000rpm. Not good enough for Sandown straight on a club day. I know I could change the ass end gearing, but I will lose acceleration. Hopefully the 2 1/2 inch exhaust will let it rev a bit easier. I know the tripple flow mufflers are chocking it to death @ the moment. Hopefully I can leave the tri Y's and the performer.
I'm running a holley blue set @ 7psi. Where should I have dialled in my cam?
The place in amberely crescent is called "habdad" (not sure on spelling). Him and his brother have many years experience on v8 1/4 mile cars. I think he has an orange HQ that does a high 9sec pass. He does good work, but at a high cost.

Anybody out there have any prices/info they can give me on their exhaust systems.
Old 10-22-2003, 16:01   #9 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

i know exactly what ur talking about. i have 8 inch offset 12 slotters, and have 235's, and the tyres come so close to the wheel arches
Old 10-22-2003, 16:10   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Nah this is a new place only opened this year. It's on the opposite side of the rd to Haddad race engines.

Street 'n' Strip Performance Exhaust
25a Amberley Cres Dandenong VIC 3175
ph: 0415 184 988

Hallam Performance Exhaust
Factory 6 2- 4 Keppel Drv Hallam VIC 3803
ph: (03) 9702 3030

Dialing in depends on the cam. I run the next cam up from your by the same manufacturer. Mines 2 deg advanced, just so it sits on TDC.

I used to have twelve slotters also with a silly offset. I now run 16" wheel. I have a 10.5"*26*16" slick under there now (275/80/16).

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust