Ford Forums banner

Exhaust Suggestions...

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  xcgxl 
#1 ·
What is the best possible Exhaust system I could throw on my 351 Cleveland..

I have had a few different suggestions.. And I wouldn't know..

Suggestion 1. Twin 2.5 Inch exhaust with 2 walker mufflers and 2 walker hot dogs with Balance pipe (Hot dog resonators? Half car, mufflers right at back.)

Suggestion 2. Twin 2.5 inch with 2 straight through mufflers at the back

Suggestion 3. Twin 2.5 inch, with 2 mufflers and dump pipes under the car

Suggestion 4. Single 2.5- 2.7 inch with Straight through muffler...

Now the sound I want is a Smooth deep V8 note, No tin, hollow, cackling or overrun (spitting, farting ect)...

I don't want heaps of sound, Just a nice deep idle, and a bit of a V8 purr when revving...

I would like suggestions please... The best I have Heard so far was apparently a 2.5 inch with straight through single...

See less See more
#6 ·
Vote for suggestion 2 too, but with X cross-over pipe and not a H cross-over pipe (same note but more torque). The Lukey Race Series mufflers sound great. I was never that happy with the sound of my Walker Super Turbo, but it was a single system. You don't need resonators.

#9 ·
I was told $500 for a twin system with 2 mufflers.

H pipe - the twin system runs a pipe connecting each side to balance the system in the shape of the letter H

X pipe - the twin system join briefly and go their seperate ways, in the shape of the letter X

#11 ·
If the Motor is pretty standard I would go for a twin 2" or twin 2 1/4". A Balance Pipe (H) is a good idea, an X Pipe is better if the budget allows.

#16 · (Edited)
Twin 2" or 2 1/4" with straight through mufflers. If you want a twin system theres No need to fit 2.5 for your 351.

#20 ·
I'm getting mine done soon.

I'd recommend getting flanges welded into your system where the exhaust meets up to your extractors and also before where the pipes go into the mufflers. If you don't have extractors, the flanges where the pipes bolt up to your original exhaust manifold will be OK.

That way you can easily unbolt that middle section of your exhaust allowing EASY removal of your gearbox etc. The x-pipe crossover will be right under your gearbox or approx where the gearbox yoke joins onto the driveshaft. The idiot who did my exhaust (previous owner) welded the whole freakin' thing together - extractors to exhaust tip, all ONE PIECE!! Dropping the gearbox is an absolute pain!

Cheers

#21 ·
I just had a twin 2.5" exhaust fitted today. It has straight through mufflers and an X pipe joined up to the Genie extractors I have always had. It sounds bloody unreal and I would have never dreamed an exhaust change could make so much difference in performance. (I had a "stocker" twin 2" before). I would definately recomend the X pipe for the sound and the engine even idles more smoothly because the X pipe "balances out the cam" wheatever that means, its something to do with the firing order. X pipes RULE and for the first time the old girl lays rubber from a standing start, the difference is amazing.

#23 ·
Probably too much. $660 including blue diamond stainless steel tips. The closest I could get to factory originals. They cut the Genies back to the collectors and welded 2.5 inch flanges on. There are also flanges behind the mufflers so I can take a section out to get at the gearbox. They painted it all in heat resistant black. The sound is AMAZING I drove around all afternoon with the windows down, with a grin from ear to ear.

#24 ·
I have no kickdown at the moment. I am waiting on a replacement cable one due from the US anyday now. It has that much extra torque that it feels like it is kicking down to second when it is just pulling out of the corners in top gear. And she lights them up without even trying (yes it an auto!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.