Exhaust System - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2002, 17:44   #1 (permalink)
Pulse__8

Question Exhaust System

Hey guys, i was talking to a exhaust guy about getting a 2 1/4 or 2.5" exhaust put on an EA.
He said that because my exhaust looked like the original one that came with the car, maybe the CAT converter was blocked? Have any of you heard of that happening? Cause i dont want to go out and get a whole new system if its not going to do what i want it to.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2002, 22:48   #2 (permalink)
eafalcon.com member

exhaust

The one on my car is original and hopefully this Friday I will be getting my new 2 1/2" system from the cat back. How could the cat get blocked there is nothing before it that can cause it to be blocked but I could be wrong.

never late in a V8

comming soon
K&N air filter
XR8 intake snorkle
High flow exhaust/cats/hm headers
Clear front & side indicators
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

The cat internals itself can collapse and block it up. Mine was nearly stuffed apparantly when I got mine done. If you get the cat done the same time as the exhaust they usually put a cat with with bigger flanges on it to match the 2.5" piping. I paid $380 for cat back 2.5" system 1 muffler, it's really burnt in now and sounds great. You'll notice if your old cat was stuffed when you drive it hard after you get the zorst done
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:51   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Ideally, the ultimate thing to do is a head back exhaust. Pricy, but it makes the mod worth while, you notice the difference. Also you know that there will be no power loss in the exhaust.

It's what I'd do.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:57   #5 (permalink)
Cobra188

Yep. there is no point wasting time pulling it off again - just pay the dollars ONCE do it right - the cat will only restrict your new system WHAT A WASTE! - get a high flow cat fitted - for 450 big ones they are still worth it IMHO
Old 06-20-2002, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
ex ea driver

i'm gettin a new cat back system for my car tommorow morning, 180 wif a single muffler, and i'm installing it my self. if the cat is ****ed i'll b puttin on a stocky... i just want it to sound better, and a little of performance wouldn't b too bad but i dun wanna spend a shit load.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:31   #7 (permalink)
Ford Anti B&S Squad

True to benifet from a Exhaust system you need extractors , high flow cat and 2 1/2 inch. Ive got 2 1/2 inch cat back with single ARB muffler straight through. It sounds good and i felt a bit of a performance gain. But the engine fells no where near as choked as it was.

So in a way its good to do it in parts, But hey my car has a good note around 3,500 rpm now. :)
EA90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 17:24   #8 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

It's very common for the cat's to get blocked, as XplodEd EA said, the internals break down a block the cat. If you're real unlucky, they can actually break free and travel into your muffler. Then you'll have a nice, loud rattling sound upon decelleration - NOT PLEASANT! When I bought my EA, the cat was stuffed, so the first thing I did was to rip it off and replace it with a high flow cat - and even with an otherwise standard exhaust, you could feel a big difference!

As for the rest of your exhaust (cat-back), have you done any major mods to the engine??? If not, then I'd HIGHLY recommend going for a 2.25" exhaust with a single high-flow muffler. On a standard EA, 2.5" is too big. 2.25" will give you a noticable increase in power at high revs, but more importantly will give you a large increase in torque in the sub-2000 rpm range (one of the EA's major downfalls).

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 17:26   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Oh, and 2.25" has a better note (IMO), and doesn't drone as much inside the cabin, also....

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 07:08   #10 (permalink)

guys.. i had my exhaust changed Cat back
When i was inspecting it, after the Cat, it still has the original piping for a few inches, where it then is welded to the 2.5" pipe.

this means that exhaust has to flow 5 inches of standard piping before it even hits my new system.

Is this a major downfall?!

eg.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust