Exhaust thoughts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

cool Exhaust thoughts

Hey guys, I would really like a little more noise outa my exhaust. I would also love more power too. I have an EF auto and I intend to go fro somethin like a 2.5" off the shelf exhaust with single muffler and a set of extractors. I am also considering going for a custom jobby. Something like a 3". Any ideas as to what is the optimum size for these donks? What do those of you who own EF's have along the lines of exhaust? Anothe thing which I just thought about, because I can't really afford to do any thing with the exhaust for a couple of months, I was thinkin about just gettin a bit of the standard size pipe thrown in to replace one of the mufflers. Any ideas if that makes much of a difference on noise and power?

Cheers, Waity.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 06:10   #2 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

Re: Exhaust thoughts

3" on a I6 is stupid, you will loose torque everywhere, if you want a nice sound get HM headers, 2 1/2" high flow cat, 2 1/2" mandrel bend steel exhaust with a straight through race magnum muffler. You won't be dissapointed!

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 14:50   #3 (permalink)
in the chopshop workshop

that sounds like a good combo zbenga although a mandrel bent system is somwhat expensive.

if u didnt want to spend that much on an exhaust y not try a lukey system and get them to remove ya resonator and use either the ultra flow muffler or the original glass pack muffler, the glasspack has that throaty growl to it and if u got the headers, 2 1/2 hi-flowcat, 2 1/2 piping, muffler, and tip shuold only set u back about 1k give or take a couple hundered bucks (probably be a fair bit less if u got it all done at once though, as we did ours in stages due to that thing called money) .

my bro did that to his ef and mate u notice the power difference. his bags up under half throttle at the lights! no bs. oh and it sounds phat as well :D
mr_mkII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:19   #4 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

Thanks guys, I think I'll stick to the 2 1/2". How much difference is there between stainless and regular steel?

Cheers, Waity.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:28   #5 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

stainless systems give you a ringy kinda sound, not as deep as steel ... i don't know why but friend moved his skyline from steel to stainless (same pipe diameter same mufler) and the sound was definitely higher pitch.

The steel exhaust will rust after about 6 years, if you don't intend on keeping the car more than 6 years the extra money (about double) will be usefull in installing a cam :)

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 19:49   #6 (permalink)
.au member

If i were you i wouldn't worry with a stainless steel one - as has been said, if you plan to keep the car for ages it may be worth it, but a mild steel one is more than adequate.

Dont quote me on this, but isnt stainless steel thinner than other types?

I woukdnt reccomend just yanking the mufflers out, it'll sound terrible and very droney. And 3 inch will do more harm than good unless youre running a majorly worked engine.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:38   #7 (permalink)
in the chopshop workshop

isnt stainless a bit lighter than mild steel???

and the only people who drive around without a muffler on the street are bogans and young holden drivers who are too dumb and stingy to buy a decent muffler.

plus its illegal to drive around without a muffler, also u might want to try and keep the exhaust note bleow the legal db rating, loud doesnt always mean better sound, my eski is around the leagal db rating and it still sounds mean as :D
mr_mkII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:31   #8 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Has anyone done 2 1/4 exhausts on the I6's ?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:37   #9 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

If i were you i wouldn't worry with a stainless steel one - as has been said, if you plan to keep the car for ages it may be worth it, but a mild steel one is more than adequate.

Stainless is wanky and not that necessary here. I got quoted once $2500 for a full stainless system on my 6 compared to $1000 odd for the mild steel. There's stacks of places that will do under a grand for this or even part of ur exhaust system.

Has anyone done 2 1/4 exhausts on the I6's ?

I was led to believe that factory made our cars have 2 1/4 inch exhausts. Is this right ???
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:38   #10 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

The factory exhaust system is only 2 1/4 inch, but it has all those horrible bends, restrictive mufflers and a shit headers system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust