exhaust woes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 01:30   #1 (permalink)
black xr6

exhaust woes

gday all do i have to replace the extractors on my ed xr6 to get a descent power increase of around 10-15 kw or is a cat back sytem going to do that for me cheers
edfalconxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 01:54   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: exhaust woes

cat back will help but really, it's going to be limited by the stock manifold. on the reverse, extractors are great but can be limited by the stock exhaust. To get the full benifit you need the full system.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:09   #3 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

oooh yeah, exhaust mods are a great way to customise your vehicle to suit you, depending on the design of the extractors/pipe(s) you go with you can make the engine make torque where your driving style requires it. It's not just a simple matter of peak KW, in fact one guy one here that I'm aware of (JC, ex owner of an AU XR6 VCT) installed an exhaust which actually lowered the RPM at which peak power arrived, but substantially fattened his torque curve to that point. Admittedly the VCT engine is an out of the ordinary case, but it makes a valid point. More specifically, you can get extractors which are designed to maximise low end torque, ones that are designed to maintain a decent increase in torque throughout the standard powerband, etc. In my limited unserstanding (guys, please correct me if i'm wrong in any way, it's the only way I'll learn :-)), the easiest (and I think cheapest) way to get an increase in peak power for the I6 is with a cat back system. I know one bloke who has an XH longreach with a catback sports system and good tyres as the only real mods and it goes/sounds as good as most 8's around here (possibly a freak engine, definitely a good driver). Anyway, I digress. The best thing to do would probably be to ask around several different exhaust places, and gauge their responses. Also this forum really is an awesome bank of knowledge if you manage to prod the residents into responding with tales of their experiences. Also try doing a search of the I6 forum for exhausts, might find some info as there has to have been a thread on something like this before.

Good luck man,
Neil
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 17:27   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

I'll add another thing to this just to muddy the water a bit more. Some (not too many but some) of the extractors on the market will not simply bolt on to a std cat back exhaust as they are longer than the original headers. This means the join from the extractors to the rest of the system is further back than it was with the original headers and will not line up with the rest of the system. Classic case is the JMM race headers. These require the cat to be further back which means that the std exhaust (or replacement cat back exhaust) will not simply bolt on to these if you get them at a later date.
Just some more food for thought.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:32   #5 (permalink)
black xr6

cheers,so it is possible to keep the current cat,and replace the extractors and the sytem from the cat back? and will get a good power increase looking at spending around 600-700 is that realistic to high or to low? cheers for the help guys neil thanks for the input
edfalconxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust