Exhausts and power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 04:46   #1 (permalink)

Exhausts and power

Hi,

I have just purchased an 1998 AU Falcon Forte that has had an exhaust modification done by the previous owner.

The manifold it still stock, however everything from the cat down to the tip of the exhaust has been replaced with a sports setup. I am not sure of the brand and exactly what has been done, but all I know is it sounds great.

My query is, do you still achieve some power gains even if you do not modify the stock manifold?

Cheers!
1987 LC Holden Astra SLX -- 2003-06
1984 LB Holden Astra SLX -- 2001-02
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 19:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: Exhausts and power

Exhaust is a mysterious beast. Typically, the better it sounds, the worse it performs. But also, if you have an exhaust with less restriction, you must also have an intake with the same decrease in restriction. So will you have a gain in performance with the current set-up...probably not. Will you recieve a gain changing out the manifold...depends. If you replace the stock intake, breather, etc. and add a spacer, you might. It's all about combinations of changes. Like the old saying...you can't have one without the other. The important thing is to make the changes fairly equal on both intake and exhaust. The only real way to verify all this is on a Dyno...good luck!
redneckf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 22:10   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

When accelerating it feels it has more power than my old EL Falcon, but im not sure if that was just the sound of the exhaust that was tricking me.

Then again I dont know what else the previous owner has done to the car. Maybe it has been chipped. Might try and organise getting the car dyno'd as I am really curious.

Cheers!
1987 LC Holden Astra SLX -- 2003-06
1984 LB Holden Astra SLX -- 2001-02
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 23:39   #4 (permalink)
XW GT

you'll have a increase power, if the exhaust is bigger, and has smoother bends and higher flowing muffler and cat then its gotta be making a difference
normally ive heard an exhaust/ plus extractor can increase power by up to 20% probably the very best case
depending on vehicle and factory fitted systems
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 19:22   #5 (permalink)

A catback exhuast will increase your power with or without intake mods. However the increase in power is very marginal unless the orgianl exhuast was pretty shabby. But your fitting a better catback system the car will increase power a tad, probably not noticable to normal driving conditions.
EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08   #6 (permalink)

typicly the more you open the exhaust the more torque you lose. Without backpressure it creates a siphon effect on the cylinder pulling fresh air/fuel out of the cylinder before the exhaust valve closes (cam overlap) this however is fantastic at 5000 rpm, however on a stock setup with a cat, opening the back will not hurt the performance because there is too much restriction. It is a game of give and take, unless its a 3in exhaust or bigger I wouldn't worry but a 2 - 2-1/4in would be good for a single exhaust on that 6 cylinder
akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust