That Ford Sound - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 20:19   #1 (permalink)

That Ford Sound

I have noticed that nicely tuned fords have a really distinct sound. Much smoother than any dodge or chevy I have ever heard. Especially on the new 4.6 mustangs. Is this because it has factory header like manifolds with a crosspipe? I want to run some nice sounding exhaust on my torino and would like this signature sound.
9"
No A/C, Bench Seat, Crank windows, Just the way I like it.
TorinoSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: That Ford Sound

Ford's Modular engine such as the 4.6 Mustang is a very nice sounding engine. Ford engines such as the 5.0 windsor and the 351C are also sweet. I don't really know the reason but firing order would be one and possibly head design.
Old 09-02-2006, 23:11   #3 (permalink)

I think the 4.6 thing is mostly because they're OHC engines while most "muscle" V8's are still pushrod engines.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:03   #4 (permalink)

Header selection, catalytic converter and muffler designs, and pipe size all play a big role in the tone of the exhaust. Headers with individual primaries (as opposed to stock manifolds, also referred to as "logs", which collect all the gases together as soon as it exits the head) will enhance the "pulsing" of the exhaust- you'll have more of a growl than a rumble, if that makes sense.

Catalytic converters (not gutted, of course) will tone down that growl (which can easily sound like a popping on too large of a pipe diameter) because they provide the resistance and give the exhaust gases a very brief moment to collect together.

Muffler design probably plays the most part in the tone, though. If you use a straight-through design, the gases will be able to come straight out and the pulsing of each cylinder firing will be significantly more noticeable. The baffled designs allow the exhaust gases to linger a moment, providing them an opportunity to blend together and reduce that pulsing sound while also providing improved backpressure/torque over a straight-through design.

I'm running shorty headers, gutted cats, and baffled mufflers (Flowmaster; don't waste your money on 'em). It's loud (no tailpipes), but it's very toned. I love it, but I do plan to have it redone with some mufflers that aren't crap. Once it's back on the road I'll get a video clip and post it up.

On a 351C, I'd recommend some good shorty headers, no cats, an X-pipe, and some sound baffled mufflers. I've heard great things about Edelbrock's new SDT designs. You may want to give them a try. They're a little pricey, but any good muffler will be. Again, do not waste your money on Flowmaster.

Pipe size ultimately depends on your power level. Most mild to moderate V8s will benefit most from a dual 2.5" system with a crossover. Blown and juiced cars often go with a larger exhaust, but you'll rarely see a street car running anything bigger than dual 2.5".

I hope that helps a little bit!

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:29   #5 (permalink)

Well after I fired it up, it sounded alright. It still has the stock manifolds with 2in dual exhaust with glasspacks. Really nice at idle and ok when you rev it. I think a cross pipe and some shorties would be awesome.

Since it has a cam in it, it lopes and pops and sounds great. The motor is in great shape, immediate throttle response when you mash the gas. I love how a cammed motor revs up so freely.
9"
Old 12-07-2006, 11:31   #6 (permalink)
Fastest Hick Around

My mustang has Turbo 400 glass packs on it and that car sounds great, and my truck i have it just running from the catalytic converters back and it sounds awesome to, both are super throaty.
ford_hick_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 21:00   #7 (permalink)

Glasspacks are too loud.

Id rather something more mellow, like the flowmaster sound, with better performance.

My car is a 4speed and my headers didn't clear, so im running stock manifolds.

How about the manifolds, 2.25"pipe, h-pipe into dual chambered/baffled mufflers.
9"
Old 09-09-2008, 01:13   #8 (permalink)
FE student

From what I've learned GM didn't have a correct firing order but the last few years. Enginebuilders has swapped this some years now on the 3-5 och 4-6 cylinder.Ford knew this since the 50's
k2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust