got my new exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2002, 19:18   #1 (permalink)
Ex Member

got my new exhaust

its only cat back for the moment.

I must admit it sounds pretty sh!thouse, its a 2.5" exhaust with a 350mm straight through flowing muffler.

its basicly quiet untill you touch the accelerater, and once you do it sounds good for a short time, then up the rev range theres the horrible drone, then it sounds good further up the rev range.

Will i expect it to sound a bit better with extractors and high flow cats, or was i tugging too hard to think my engine would ever sound good?

thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2002, 00:57   #2 (permalink)

That must be so dissapointing. Im hanging out to hear my ute fireup for the first time. I hope it doesnt sound shit. Its got a 2.5inch system including extractors.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:14   #3 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XBXR6UTEMAN
That must be so dissapointing. Im hanging out to hear my ute fireup for the first time. I hope it doesnt sound shit. Its got a 2.5inch system including extractors.
it's very dissapointing, plus ive got a headache from it now too..
but i suppose i will have to get used to it, unless i want to install a resonator.

Theres a huge difference higher up in the rev range, but at the bottom end theres no difference except noise, maybe my original muffler was blocked up.

never the less, im going to be buying stainless steel extractors and high flow cats, if that makes it unbarable i will install a resonator.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:55   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The extractors and cats should make a big difference. When I bought my car, it had a 2 1/2 inch stainless system in it but still had the original headers and cats. It didn't have a nice v8 note, just a loud drone when you put your foot down. After I put in the extractors and high flow cats, the v8 began to sing. It still drones a bit, but it is much better. The most restrictive part of the exhaust are the headers. If you noticed much power difference with the system, just wait till you get the extractors and cats.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:59   #5 (permalink)

My ZK (5.8) has a similiar setup, but with extractors, the harder you rev it the better it sounds. Sorry to sound like i'm rubbing it in, get the extractors and you may end up with the tone you're after.
zk fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EDXR8
The extractors and cats should make a big difference. When I bought my car, it had a 2 1/2 inch stainless system in it but still had the original headers and cats. It didn't have a nice v8 note, just a loud drone when you put your foot down. After I put in the extractors and high flow cats, the v8 began to sing. It still drones a bit, but it is much better. The most restrictive part of the exhaust are the headers. If you noticed much power difference with the system, just wait till you get the extractors and cats.
Excelent, thats all i needed to know..

Anyone in perth know where i can get them from? at a reasonable price, IE not at an exhaust shop..
Old 02-23-2002, 17:53   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

So what type of muffler was it? ie brand??? Do yourself a favour .. Go see Jeff Garland from Exhaust Dynamics in Belmont, behind Repco on Gt Eastern hwy.. Get it right the first time!!!!!!!

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 20:05   #8 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by svo302
So what type of muffler was it? ie brand??? Do yourself a favour .. Go see Jeff Garland from Exhaust Dynamics in Belmont, behind Repco on Gt Eastern hwy.. Get it right the first time!!!!!!!
Belmont's a loooooooong way away from where i live.

im starting to slowly enjoy the sound of it now. i just wasnt used to the massive difference. it wasnt able to be heard, then all of a sudden its a major bloody rumble.

does this guy have a website?

i think i will have my stuff delivered to me.. i want extractors and cats that dont require any welding or know how. I want to be able to fit them my self on a weekend. I'm a computer nerd so it cant be too physical..
Old 02-23-2002, 22:52   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Sorry Pal he doesnt have a website yet...
I got a Genie system sent to me when I lived up north. No Bloody worries they told me What a load of CRAP.
The extractors fitted no worries after I jacked the car up abit they only seemed to fit from underneath, a few of the bolts had to go in FIRST otherwise when its all tight you cant get them in because of the way the pipes are bent.... GRRRRrrrrr
Ok with that done I had to shorten & modify the cat inlet & outlet flanges & shorten the "Y" pipe FrEaKn hassle.
So on my last rebuild I got the Extractors ceramic coated by Jethot, & a FULL 3 inch stainless system custom made , that , once was finished was actually cheaper than the original !!!!!!!
The best part was its a drive in drive away jobbie no clearance probs whatsoever!!! & sounds just right.
Seriously mate save an extra few dollars & take it to him, in the long run it will actually cost you LESS . especially in the frustration part of things!!....

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 18:11   #10 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

What about using a set of 220kW Tickford headers. They have the big cats (over the 200 and lesser engines) as part of the headers so they turn out to be a good value thing. Plus you know they'll fit without hassles.

Just so happens AP has a set, however they shouldn't be hard to find otherwise.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust