Headers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2002, 16:08   #1 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Headers

I am looking at putting a set of headers and a sports exhaust system on the falcon while its down.

What brand headers should I go for? HM or Pacemakers??
The exhaust place are trying to push pacemakers, but I have heard personally that HM are the best.

Also should I expect any insurance hassles in telling them I have an exhaust system fitted to the car, even If i do not wish to cover it?
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2002, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

I have the pacemakers fitted to mine, and have had no problems, also the one recommended by the guys that did the rest of the exhaust (stainless 2 1/2").
It would pay to get it mentioned on the insurance, any mods like this can void your insurance if not specified.
Old 01-22-2002, 16:21   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Go the Herrod system!! :s3
Old 01-22-2002, 16:25   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Jay,

It all comes down to the size of your pocket. They both have different designs. HM are press bent stainless. Pacemaker have pipe over cone. You will find that we both perform about same. HM come with hiflow cat (which is much better than the factory one no matter what other people say), pacemaker don't as far as i'm aware. I use HM headers and find them to be excellent... The part you need is HM102SS
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Thanks guys. Hmm the idea of the hiflow cat sounds good... but so does the pipe over cone... Hmm decisions decisions...

How many extra KW's will this produce? I dont really want to spend more than $1000 if possible...
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 19:39   #6 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

My total system was $1300, including Pacemakers, new Hi-Flow cat, and Stainless 2 1/2 system with 1 Stainless muffer, and a stainless resonator. This was for a 4.0lXR6 motor, not sure what you got as your Profile states you drive a "IT Manager - Ford Dealer":oo1:
Old 01-22-2002, 23:03   #7 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Hey guys,

I've been quoted $570 for Pacemaker extractors/headers, SS 2.5" exhaust, no resonator, leaving factory cat on (I'm told that only an extra 4kw can be gained from replacing the cat).

I can replace the cat for $250 but I'm told it's not worth it.

(These are mate of a mates prices quoted to me directly)

Can anyone see any problem with these?

('93 ED XR6 4.0L)
Old 01-22-2002, 23:25   #8 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

Only an extra 4kW

Hey Xeron,

From your post do you mean that you will get an advantage with the modified exhaust system and standard cat, and you'll get 4kW on top of this advantage if you also replace the cat with an aftermarket one.

If so I think it's worth replacing the cat for an extra $250. Only 4kW! Don't forget there is only 7kW difference at the flywheel between XR6HP (164kW) and standard Falcon (157kW), and look at the difference in performance there. The other question to ask them is whether that is 4kW at the wheels or at the flywheel. If it's the wheels then that's even better than the above comparison.

Something to think about.

"You wouldn't be dead for quids!"
mikenicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:38   #9 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by Xeron
Hey guys,

I've been quoted $570 for Pacemaker extractors/headers, SS 2.5" exhaust, no resonator, leaving factory cat on (I'm told that only an extra 4kw can be gained from replacing the cat).

I can replace the cat for $250 but I'm told it's not worth it.

(These are mate of a mates prices quoted to me directly)

Can anyone see any problem with these?

('93 ED XR6 4.0L)
At the age your CAT is it is prbably getting to be pretty well stuffed, and for the $250 I'd get it replaced.
Old 01-23-2002, 15:19   #10 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Hey mikenicko,

Yeah an extra 4kw on top of the added advantage from the new system. And I assume this is at the flywheel, though I didn't ask.

The replacement cat was quoted as high-flow, and I personally think it'd be worth replacing, but then I've had a few people say it's not worth it and the same number tell me it is. So I guess it comes down to me doing it on my own choice...anyone got a coin? ;p

Another question, if I may. I'm told my XR has the Tickford sports suspension option (I've yet to check, but then I wouldn't know what I was looking at). If it does, is there much that can be upgraded on that? Or replaced?

Last time it was in for it's warranty service, they informed me it needed all it's bushings replaced, including some rather hard-to-reach ones. They quoted me $750 to have this done (which I thought was rather high, but I don't know any better).

Would it be worth having these bushes, etc replaced? Or would I be better off getting some kind of upgraded suspension setup. I'd like to get this correct before I get 17" wheels (don't want to wear any new rubber unnecessarily...)

What would be the cost of a new suspension setup?

Cheers guys, you're help so far has been awesome.

And just while typing this I've decided to replace the cat.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust