Headers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2001, 15:03   #1 (permalink)
xtonkax

Read Headers

I need some opinions on headers for my 2000 GT. I've looked at a few, JBA, MAC, Bob's Header factory, etc. Any ideas? Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2001, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

They are a huge pain to install. You will have to undo the motor mounts and jack up the engine if they are the long style headers. the short ones are easy to install but won't bolt up to the stock pipes.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 22:01   #3 (permalink)
xtonkax

Yeah, I figured it would be a bear to install them. Figure that if I decide to get them, I'll pay the cash to have somebody else to put them in. I still have a few miles left on the warranty, though, so I think I'll hold off for a bit.

Thanks for the feedback!!! I'd really like to see this section get a little more active. Love getting new ideas for my car.

Old 12-19-2001, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

I know what you mean. I don't own a mustang but my Crown runs the mod v8. They are all the same basically. I've been doing alot of looking around for hop up parts over the past week and have ran in circles. One was just trying to locate flat tops that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Then after my frustration peaked I realized I over looked the obvious and that the dohc pistons are only .060 dished. I figure it could be a valve inset or maybe is is just dished that much. Any how that is close enough to flat. The word on the street is that the stock style hyper pistons are only good to 400hp. I don't think without major money that I will get my engine near that. I'm on a shoe string budget. Right now I'm reworking the heads to deshroud the intake valve and porting and polishing the exhaust. I might work over the intake port a little but I haven't gotten that far yet. Another thing that bugs me so bad is when you go to the parts store and the guy behing the counter starts giving you crap about hopping up a 4.6 and saying they don't have the parts. Then when I tell them "here is the part number and I pulled it off your web sight, so you must have the part give me a price and I will order it." The deer in the head light look is a dead give away that he didn't know they had a web sight, and the fact that I already had the part number made him even more clueless. Well I'll get off my soap box.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 23:01   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Hey there, I'm mostly on this board for my Probe, but since I'm into 'stangs as well, I thought I'd check this out and chime in...

I would consider the JBA's...probably only the 1.5" not the 1 5/8" inch shorty headers for your GT. The cobra makes sufficient HP to breathe through the bigger 1 5/8" headers, but if I were you I'd stick to the 1.5" sized ones. Check out www.corral.net specifically
Bob Cosby's '99 Cobra http://www.corral.net/projects/blkcld/
*they had a nice write-up regarding the JBA header install, which will be a major PITA, but well worth it. My 2nd choice would be to install the FRPP shorty headers, with longtubes, you would have to remove the headers to service the clutch/tranny every time, too great a hassle for me....goodluck & regards, PM me for further info or surf around on the modular forum at the Corral-great site :)
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust