Herrod Exhaust for BA XR6 (non-turbo) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 21:41   #1 (permalink)

Herrod Exhaust for BA XR6 (non-turbo)

What are benefits of installing the Herrod exhaust system to my car ?
Is there any power increase or fuel saving ?
What is the difference between the full system and the cat back one ?
TimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 23:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: Herrod Exhaust for BA XR6 (non-turbo)

1. It now sounds like it has hair on its ba**s and it matches the aggressive look
2. Power increase yes, fuel savings can be had as long as you dont plough the right foot too much ( but believe me its hard )
3. Full system - extractors, high flow cat and low restriction straight through muffler, 2.5" pipe
Cat back is just the 2.5" pipe and low restriction muffler ( ie whatever is "back" from the catalytic convertor )

Cost ( in sydney ) are:
full system in stainless steel - $2000 ( I think )
full system in mild steel - $1200
cat back in stainless - $1400 ( again I think )
cat back in mild steel - $600

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
The sound is intoxicating....and be sure to get a cold air intake and filter ( BMC or k&n ) of some sort ( ss induction CAI is pricy but good ).
Old 02-10-2004, 03:07   #3 (permalink)

Like xr virgin has stated full system inclueding headers is worth the investment, I paid $2550 for my one at Knox Ford (Melbourne) aswell as the SS cold air intake $350, and K&N filter $140, these few mods will make a heap of differance

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 17:48   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr_virgin
1. It now sounds like it has hair on its ba**s and it matches the aggressive look
2. Power increase yes, fuel savings can be had as long as you dont plough the right foot too much ( but believe me its hard )
3. Full system - extractors, high flow cat and low restriction straight through muffler, 2.5" pipe
Cat back is just the 2.5" pipe and low restriction muffler ( ie whatever is "back" from the catalytic convertor )

Cost ( in sydney ) are:
full system in stainless steel - $2000 ( I think )
full system in mild steel - $1200
cat back in stainless - $1400 ( again I think )
cat back in mild steel - $600

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
The sound is intoxicating....and be sure to get a cold air intake and filter ( BMC or k&n ) of some sort ( ss induction CAI is pricy but good ).

What does "cold air intake and filter ( BMC or k&n )" do ?
Old 02-10-2004, 23:09   #5 (permalink)

Cold air intake feeds "cooler" air to the engine. Simple fix is to add an XR6T snorkel ( which about twice as big as the standard snorkel ) which is $30 or so.
Expensive option is the SS Induction unit which is about 3 to 4 times bigger again ( fits over the top of the entire radiator ). But it is $400.
Custom CAI's are usually a duct running from the front bumper to the airbox but due to them being so low they are susecptible to filling with water and a lot more fiddling around.
Id recommend the SS Induction, then the XR6T but go with what your budget is happy with!

The science behind CAI is:

cooler air = denser air
denser air = more oxygen
more oxygen = the ability to add more fuel to the mixture without running lean
more fuel being burnt = more power!

The bmc or k&n is just less restrictive and re-usable cloth filter ( meaning you can clean it ) so it will allow more air to flow through it to the engine rather than the throw away standard paper filters.
Old 02-11-2004, 15:07   #6 (permalink)

cool Re: Herrod Exhaust for BA XR6 (non-turbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr_virgin
Cold air intake feeds "cooler" air to the engine. Simple fix is to add an XR6T snorkel ( which about twice as big as the standard snorkel ) which is $30 or so.
Expensive option is the SS Induction unit which is about 3 to 4 times bigger again ( fits over the top of the entire radiator ). But it is $400.
Custom CAI's are usually a duct running from the front bumper to the airbox but due to them being so low they are susecptible to filling with water and a lot more fiddling around.
Id recommend the SS Induction, then the XR6T but go with what your budget is happy with!

The science behind CAI is:

cooler air = denser air
denser air = more oxygen
more oxygen = the ability to add more fuel to the mixture without running lean
more fuel being burnt = more power!

The bmc or k&n is just less restrictive and re-usable cloth filter ( meaning you can clean it ) so it will allow more air to flow through it to the engine rather than the throw away standard paper filters.

Thanks for your help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust