Herrods exhaust worth it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 02:30   #1 (permalink)

Herrods exhaust worth it?

Hi guys,was wondering if the expense($4000nz) of a herrods big bore would be worth it on my soon to be built GT.
Also they do lowered springs(20mm),anybody had this done and what do you think(ie to hard,wheels rub etc).
Cheers, go the BA.
noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 02:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Herrods exhaust worth it?

I know a lot of people have gone for the Herrods mods and I do understand their thinking.

But from someone who did not get them, here is my 2 cents worth:

The exhaust system for me is $3800!! For just an exhaust system!! This is because they need to remove the engine to fit it. I did think about it, and then I thought - these beasts already have 290 kw.

Thats a #$% load of horse power already! If your like me and drive the car to work every day (leased so must add kilometres to equation) then they are already more powerful than needed (aint it great!!).

If I was going to not drive it and keep it in mint condition for future years (some Tx-50s have less than 1000 klms in 12 months!!) then original condition is a necessity!! No MODS full stop.

However, if money is no object, and you probably paid cash for the car (bastard!!) and your going to cruise in it and add kilometres just for fun and you want to dyno it to make the GTS Monaros jealous, then go all out and get every Herrod mods - there great value when money is no concern.

If you have limitless pockets, consider a cappa blower that will make your beast 500kw for uner $7000! Now thats real performance value!!
eightoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:56   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your thoughts,my GT will be used only on the odd weekend trip and I intend to keep her for a very long time.
I saw my first new one(GT) the other week and thought it was sitting a bit high and could have abit more of a rumble,would(if I go ahead)keep all the original parts.
And no, I'm not a overly rich person,so exhaust does seem like a lot of money.
noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:08   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

if you just want the rumble, but no so much of the price, why dont you look at some sort of cat-back system? I know the BA's have a different exhaust set up, but this shouldnt be a problem I dont think, and would save some bucks coz they could leave the engine in!

If I had a GT, I would find it hard to justify the $4000, when like eightoftwelve said, you can get 500kw babies for only 3 grand more (not that you may wanna spend that or have that)

just some stuff to think about any way...
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Might be worth having a chat to your dealer about what other exhaust options are out there. Coby must have something out by now, and would be cheaper than the Herrods system although not necessarily of as higher quality.

As for just a cat back system - here's a pick of the Herrods extractors and the standard ones. I know what I'd do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01972.jpg (47.6 KB, 125 views)
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:24   #6 (permalink)

Agree.
I have lowered the car and the ride is not affected.
It looks so much better especially the rear as it currently sits too high in my opinion.
Now it looks like the racers!
As far as the xhaust is concerned I cannot justify the amount but may consider cat back for $600 odd for a little more deep throat and I guess a few moreKW
GTP ACID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:28   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Yes but if your going to spend the dough on a supercharger(500kw)why would you stay with the original exhaust and suffocate the engine,obviously your putting a S/C on for performance and power,why not an exhaust,after all the exhaust is one of the best and easiest way's off obtaining power.I say once you hear an Herrod exhaust your mind will be made up.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:30   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

My GT will be getting a cats back system in the next few weeks at a cost of $480 for a single 3" Mild steel system.
I will be dynoing the car before and after to document the power gains.
I cannot justify the expense of the Herrods System.
As for lowering the car I have trouble going over speed humps and getting into driveways/carparks as it is now.
GT#58
MARK'S DEE GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:36   #9 (permalink)

"just do it" you bunch of women!!!!
"no guts no glory"
mygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:47   #10 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Yeah, but no brain no pain either.

And I know some pretty tough women....

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust