How to - Convert Single to Dual exaust - 07 Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 17:01   #1 (permalink)

How to - Convert Single to Dual exaust - 07 Grand Marquis

Why the ultimate editions dont have dual's... I will never know.

Specifically I am concerned about O2 sensors. Like I would like to just go to my local exaust shop and get custom pipes bent from the manifolds back and remove the cats but... been reading there will be problems with that. So...

1. How do I incorporate the O2's for dual's? Like there will be 2 there now on single but I will need 4 for duals right? Or can I just ignore the other set of O2's and let it be?

2. Is there a way to remove the cats and program the ECU to ignore the second set of O2's?

Thanks for any advice. My plans are to (if I cant removethe cats) get some highflow cats and some flowmaster 40's.

This is what I want it to sound like

YouTube - 4.6L Grand marquis exhaust
Bun-Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 06:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: How to - Convert Single to Dual exaust - 07 Grand Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post

Specifically I am concerned about O2 sensors. Like I would like to just go to my local exaust shop and get custom pipes bent from the manifolds back and remove the cats but... been reading there will be problems with that. So...

1. How do I incorporate the O2's for dual's? Like there will be 2 there now on single but I will need 4 for duals right? Or can I just ignore the other set of O2's and let it be?

2. Is there a way to remove the cats and program the ECU to ignore the second set of O2's?

Thanks for any advice. My plans are to (if I cant removethe cats) get some highflow cats and some flowmaster 40's.

I have an '05 CV. I wanted to increase the power and mileage a little bit so I decided to convert the factory single exhaust system to a "true dual" system. Ford puts in an H-pipe between the two tubes after the cats and before the mufflers. I went with an X-pipe because my exhaust shop guy said I would get better flow. He was right. I have more mid-range power and have seen an increase in the 70 to 90 MPH acceleration also.

But as far as gas mileage goes...last tank I got 14 MPG but it was all around town driving. No more than 45 MPH. Stop and go you always get less mileage but I am disappointed in the mileage I got on the first fill-up after the exhaust work. Maybe I am a little too hard on the gas pedal...I barely have to touch it now and I am going 40 MPH so I have to get used to that.

I am also wondering if this ethanol crap they're putting in our gas is affecting the mileage we are getting...

Anyway I am happy I switched over to dual exhaust, and you will too if you do it. Keep the cats, or you will get an engine light and be illegal as far as emissions.

1984 Chevy Blazer
'05 vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:50   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 vic View Post
I have an '05 CV. I wanted to increase the power and mileage a little bit so I decided to convert the factory single exhaust system to a "true dual" system. Ford puts in an H-pipe between the two tubes after the cats and before the mufflers. I went with an X-pipe because my exhaust shop guy said I would get better flow. He was right. I have more mid-range power and have seen an increase in the 70 to 90 MPH acceleration also.

But as far as gas mileage goes...last tank I got 14 MPG but it was all around town driving. No more than 45 MPH. Stop and go you always get less mileage but I am disappointed in the mileage I got on the first fill-up after the exhaust work. Maybe I am a little too hard on the gas pedal...I barely have to touch it now and I am going 40 MPH so I have to get used to that.

I am also wondering if this ethanol crap they're putting in our gas is affecting the mileage we are getting...

Anyway I am happy I switched over to dual exhaust, and you will too if you do it. Keep the cats, or you will get an engine light and be illegal as far as emissions.
So there is dual exaust up to the cats? (two resonators and two cats) and then just a single muffler? If so then converting dual is easy.

However I dont thinking I will be connecting then at all (no H or X pipe) to give it more of an aggressive sound. And as far as the cats go I will probably just get some high flow ones or I may try one of those O2 simulators to prevent the CEL without them.
Bun-Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 16:01   #4 (permalink)

my suggestion is to find a good reputable custom exhaust shop and see what they say.

if you have dual cats that merge into one pipe and one muffler than that should be easier to make a true dual setup.

now for the second O2 sensor, I wouldnt worry much about it. all it does is reads the gases and makes sure that the cat is doing what its supposed to do. you can even have it zip tied outside reading clean air if you need to.

talk to the guys at the shop, have them look at it and discuss what can they do. good luck, and post some pics when you get it done.
Xrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 19:12   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking about going DUAL also. I have a 2006 that has the same layout,
dual exhaust to two cats and then combine and go to rear of car to one muffler. Seems to be an easy job for a shop. I am going to ask the dealer about this also and get a price. The only thing I heard about a muffler shop is that the mufflers they give you are not the best.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 00:56   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post

I would not suggest running without cats.

Here is a link to the ones I purchased:

Super Coupe Performance Parts - Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Mark VIII (8) and Ford Escape

They are also available in the 2.25" and 2" size, whichever applies and the price is right.

I would assume that a tune would be needed to "turn off" the downstream sensors. SCT offers this option on their chips which is the route that I have gone for my exhaust. There is no way to fool the computer otherwise, and you will have a CEL. At the same time, turning off the downstream sensors isn't a bad thing for drivablity either. It's just one of those technicalities with the emissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust