Ford Forums banner

Illegal exhaust mods

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BOSXR8 
#1 ·
I own a 86 XF sedan with a lukey 2.5" exhaust system on it, i want to modify the exhaust system a bit but i dont want to be pulled up by the cops and have my car taken off the road. What i want to do is cut the exhaust pipe off at the muffler which sits on the drivers side just before the diff, then just have a pipe from the muffler bent down towards the ground so that it dumps the exhaust and doesnt have to travel up over the diff and out the back. This will solve a problem im having with mounting a towbar which i can put on and take off easily, and hopefully give the car a bit more style and individuality. I have been told that its illegal... and that putting a larger exhaust on the car is illegal as well... if anyone knows anything about this, i would love to know. Oh by the way i live in queensland.

Slick XF

#2 · (Edited)
cant speak for queensland but this is victorias stance on this issue: a 2.5 zorst is not illegal nor are extractors and neither require an engineers certificate. any zorst that dumps BEFORE the diff IS illegal and all dumping must be done AFTER the diff so fumes and gasses cant be trapped and let into the cabin.

#3 ·
Yeah as davway said, it is illegal to dump the exhaust before the diff because it can cause exhaust gasses to leak into the cabin, not good. If you get pulled over the cops will easily see what you have done and it will be defected. Also, dumping it before the diff will probably make it too loud.

#5 ·
sedan must be at the rear bar, or after it, ute may be dumped just behined the diff....

dads ute had it dumped just behined the rear wheels problem coz mumknew when we were dong burnouts in it

here is the thing from vicroads

12. EXHAUST SYSTEMS

Modified and alternative exhaust systems are permitted if they satisfy the following requirements:

• The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40 mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan which is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but must not protrude beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.
    • If to the side of the vehicle, the exhaust outlet must discharge downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than 15 degrees nor more than 45 degrees, and to the rear of any adjustable window or vent; if the vehicle is manufactured after June 1988, the discharge must be to the right-hand side of the vehicle.
    • If to the rear of the vehicle, the exhaust outlet must discharge at not more than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below the horizontal.
    • No exhaust system whether it be functional or ornamental is to be mounted in such a manner as to create a hazardous situation particularly from hot surfaces or projections.
    • All piping and muffler systems must be adequately supported.
    • Exhaust extractors may be fitted to a motor vehicle manufactured before July 1976, provided they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, braking or fuel systems. In all other cases evidence either in the form of an Approval Certificate or acceptable evidence from the extractor manufacturer to show that the vehicle continues to comply with all applicable emission regulations will be required.
Evidence from the extractor manufacturer is acceptable if it includes information:

• identifying the extractors as appropriate ones for the vehicle;
    • certifying that the extractors have all the features and fittings necessary to allow the vehicle's emission control system to be reconnected and work properly; and
    • describing how the extractors should be fitted.
The vehicle must continue to comply with the ground clearance requirements.

There must be no escape path for exhaust gases other than the exhaust outlet, and the vehicle must continue to comply with the noise emission standards applicable to it.

12. EXHAUST SYSTEMS

Modified and alternative exhaust systems are permitted if they satisfy the following requirements:

• The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40 mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan which is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but must not protrude beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.
    • If to the side of the vehicle, the exhaust outlet must discharge downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than 15 degrees nor more than 45 degrees, and to the rear of any adjustable window or vent; if the vehicle is manufactured after June 1988, the discharge must be to the right-hand side of the vehicle.
    • If to the rear of the vehicle, the exhaust outlet must discharge at not more than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below the horizontal.
    • No exhaust system whether it be functional or ornamental is to be mounted in such a manner as to create a hazardous situation particularly from hot surfaces or projections.
    • All piping and muffler systems must be adequately supported.
    • Exhaust extractors may be fitted to a motor vehicle manufactured before July 1976, provided they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, braking or fuel systems. In all other cases evidence either in the form of an Approval Certificate or acceptable evidence from the extractor manufacturer to show that the vehicle continues to comply with all applicable emission regulations will be required.
Evidence from the extractor manufacturer is acceptable if it includes information:

• identifying the extractors as appropriate ones for the vehicle;
    • certifying that the extractors have all the features and fittings necessary to allow the vehicle's emission control system to be reconnected and work properly; and
    • describing how the extractors should be fitted.
The vehicle must continue to comply with the ground clearance requirements.

There must be no escape path for exhaust gases other than the exhaust outlet, and the vehicle must continue to comply with the noise emission standards applicable to it.

#6 ·
i have my exhaust dumped behind the diff, my system is stock but the reason why i did this was because the back small shitty muffler got clogged and i want to get a full system in a month so i really didnt want to waist my money. then i experimented by taking the big middle muffler out and making a pipe to suit and keeping it dumped there. and F^&K!! was the car loud!!! i dont know if anyone has tried this but it sounded like a fully worked V8. it was fun for a few days then i fit the muffler back on. Anyways it is illegal to dump it but i must say i havent NOTICED any fumes in the cabin. and if u really want to dump it before the diff then just make up a dummy tip ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.