Ford Forums banner

Need some advice on Pacemaker Headers

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Gli 5 Speed 
#1 ·
Hi all :eek:) **Sorry if I've put this Q in the wrong place** but.....

I just need some advice on what to get. My EA GhiaII (chip'd) 3.9mpfi has a 2½ sports from CAT back and now I'm looking at getting Pacemaker headers. I can get a standard set for $360 or Competition (Tuned Length) for $410.

I just need to know what the differences are. Both are HPC. But what exactly does "tuned length" mean? And how does being "tuned length" make a difference to my car? Any advice would really be appreciated as I'm on a low budget BUT if it really is a better way to go to get the competition ones, I'll spend the money but only if I really need to. Otherwise.......

Thanks pple
Krissy :D

#2 ·
The idea behind tuned length headers is that each of the primary tubes is of equal or ‘tuned’ length, making the distance the exhaust gasses has to travel down each of them exactly or as close to the same as possible. This also allows for more equal scavenging across all 6 of your cylinders. For the extra $50 it is well worth getting a set off tuned length pacemaker headers as the power difference between a standard header and a tuned length one is phenomenal, equating to several kw’s. Torque is another great issue there in that a tuned length system produces more torque across the rev range. All in all with a set of Pacemaker tuned length you’re looking at better exhaust scavenging which means more power and better fuel economy.

Another thing to note is the way Pacemaker use a pipe over cone design with all their headers. This helps to eliminate turbulence inside the collector cone and improved gas flow. Again, improved gas flow means more power.

I got a system nocked up with Pacemaker tuned length headers, high flow sports stainless cat and a 2 1/2 inch high flow sports exhaust system with high flow mufflers, did a new intake setup with a sequential bonnet scoop, K&N filter and thematic fans and that alone was producing 118.6rwkw 683.7 Nm of torque on the dyno. These things where only around the 90rwkw range stock so that’s a fair gain and most of it from the exhaust. Don’t know what she’s pulling now cause I haven’t had her tuned since I got the quench head fitted and she’s able to go up against commo V8 5L’s.

#3 ·
i'll be looking at a set of these in the very near future as well.

-FPV_FPR-, if or when you get some, let me know your thoughts about them, i'll keep looking at some others in the meantime and save some more dosh $$

#5 ·
"defective" - thanks for all that info, it's a great help :eek:) I've never put mine on the Dyno, even after I got it chip'd. I wouldn't know what my rwkw were b4 or after. My intake setup is just an XH snorkel & BMC filter. I changed to a POD a few months ago but lost so much power. Although, the noise gain was quite nice. For the first time, my car turned heads thanks to the noise :p

(BTW, the primaries on the Pacy's are 1½" diameter. With all the reading I've done, I think I remember that being a good thing yeah??)

"xcel" - I'll let you know how I go when I get them fitted.

"tikfd6" - I've read ALOT about JMM .. (am I right that he's in Altona somewhere?) At one stage I was looking into his DEV kits. I've heard from many people that his headers are highly priced. That throws me back because I don't want to spend a fortune on them. I think I'll go the Pacey's. All up $560 fitted. That's within my budget at the moment.

#6 ·
I just threw a set of tuned length pacemakers on my EF. i think $560 fitted is a bit steep i paid $360 but labour was free ($200 labour for 8 bolts and some welding, expensive)
-few tips reuse your original metal gasket will last heaps longer than the one supplied
-make sure whoever does it for you can weld your cat up good because you need to take off about a foot at each end
-while the cats off punch all that honeycomb shit out of it, EPA wont like it but whose gonna know unless they pull the whole exhaust apart :p

#9 ·
Pllllllllllease dont rip your guts out of the cat , it does nothing (maybe decreases power) and the fines are phenominal

#10 ·
redGhia said:
Pllllllllllease dont rip your guts out of the cat , it does nothing (maybe decreases power) and the fines are phenominal
I gained a whole 3 rwkw with a gutted Cat on my old car which is hardly worth the huge fine. So i fitted a High Flo cat which gained 1rwkw over the standard cat.
Pffft i would even chane the cat its not worth the $$$$'s IMO

#11 ·
Hey glad I could help you out mate. Please though, don’t go ripping the guts out of your cat. As many have advised you it is not worth the trouble for what minimal gain you may get from it. The package I’m running totals a value of $1500 retail. That includes headers, cat and the rest of the exhaust system. It all falls within legalities and was never intended for noise, but instead power, which I might add it delivers nicely. Had a lot of people working on that project (benefits of knowing the right people in the right industries). Damn nice package and coupled with the bonnet scoop it gives the car a very distinctive note.

But definitely run the pacemaker competition headers. It’s pointless changing the cat unless you really want to spend the money and get a good high flow sports stainless cat. You will notice an improvement right across the rev range with those headers.

Good luck,
Aaron.

#13 ·
au-steve said:
I noticed a huge difference just driving my car once the cat was gutted, and theres no fines yet, cops dont usually pull me over and hook up a gas analysis machine to my car.
exactly my thoughts on the matter, although i wouldnt consider the difference huge, any extra neddies at the wheels are good neddies, especially if they're free. who's gonna pull the exhaust system apart to see to see if its been gutted!!! if they do, plead ignorance 'it was like it when i bought it' hehehheehe

#14 ·
guys dont think the epa wont find out, if they pull you over they have that litle laser pointer and what ever they point at it gives a temperature, so then as we should all know the cat is the hotest part of our exhaust systems, if the epa flash the headers for eg theyl see 200degress go down to the cat and its 200degres when it realy should be 500degress they will know str8 away no need to pull the exhaust apart for them to know uve knocked the guts out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.