The never ending exhaust questions? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 18:36   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Lightbulb The never ending exhaust questions?

I'll be the first to admit I know very little about anything. Especially exhausts. So that's why I'm here.
Wanna get an exhaust system for my car. The lukey ones sound real cool, just wondering if anyone knows anything about their quality. Also how much would I be expecting to pay for a decent exhaust system. Not an A-Class one, maybe a level or two down from there :)
And what sort of system should I look for? eg Are high flow cats worth the money etc. What other brands are recommended/not recommended?
I'd go in and ask at Carline etc, but they are trying to sell me the stuff, so they'll hardly be unbiased. So anyhelp you can give me would be greatly appreaciated.
WarChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2003, 20:19   #2 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

What engine with what mod's?

These will decide the exhaust required..
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 20:21   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: The never ending exhaust questions?

Mate, for cost I'd try one of those redback 2.5 inch sports jobbies. Around $350 fitted and gives you some note and better go. There's better out there but they also cost more money.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

Apparently the hi-flow cats are really no different to the one's below them, as for the quality of Lukey I would reccomend them to anyone looking for a decent exhaust system.

Mine has set me back about $700. I'm getting a new hi-flow cat next thursday morning and that brings the total to $1050 including installation. This includes;

extractors, hi-flow cat, straight through performance muffler, all pipe is 2 1/2" right through and the tip is a chrome 2 1/2" rolled in one.

I don't know an overly huge amount, but the Pacemaker extractors are supposed to be better power wise. They also cost more.
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

The pacemakers for the HAD engines (AP will shortly be converting HAD terminology to 3/4 - as in XR3/4) are a major pain. Mine didn't match the head studs so I had to manipulate them and then the primaries or secondaries hit the block web/bellhousing. That's why Herrod charges more for his stuff - it fits!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks for the info guys.
Im not really goin for an awesome, all conquering system. Just sumfin to give my car a little bit of a rumble and some street appeal. Cause in its standard form its a bit lacking in all departments.
So therefore my budget is probably capped at about $1000. So freak the kind of set up you have is something like what I'm after.
More questions (mainly for Freak):

Does it give a good note (does it really growl) ahaha?

Do you get a lot of resonance with that system, typically I drive on the freeway at about 100-120, so will this annoy me, or do I just need to turn the old stereo up?:)

Do you get alot of extra attention from the cops? I dont think this would result in too many problems cause I like to think I'm a pretty sensible driver and there is very little on my car the coppers could pick me up for.

And do you have any idea what kind of extra power you've got out of that system and can you notice it?

Thanks again. This place is great for finding stuff out!!
WarChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 21:19   #7 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

If it growls, then it's a Lukey! Yeah it gives off a pretty good note, I was very happy with it when it got done. If you have a three speed auto, then you will notice that the gears are much longer so it takes a while before getting the note you want. But a 4 speed is sweet as.

You don't have to worry about it droning in your ears on the highway as I do a lot of highway driving it sits in low revs so it's pretty good.

I don't get any unwanted attention from the coppers, which is cool, but I live in a country town. It might be different in the city.

As for power, my XF blows away all of the other XF's in town and the only thing I've done engine wise is the full exhaust system, and regular servicing. you can generally notice it, I did, but it's certainly is anything to cream your pants over.
Old 09-03-2003, 22:33   #8 (permalink)
NC Sportsman I6

i got a lukey turbo muffler last week.
I've got extractors and the muffler only made them sound louder. I am very happy with it. it's the kind of sound that makes poeple turn around. (even at idle).
It wasn't quite the sweet note i was after but for $125 i no complain.
Old 09-03-2003, 23:31   #9 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

I just got my turbo muffler replaced with the next one up, which pretty much flows straight through. The the turbo muffler actually has an S-bend in it. I got even more sound so I was much happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust