Ford Forums banner

New Exhaust - Anything I need to do?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Pauly2 
#1 ·
Guys and gals,

Quick question - I am getting new extractors and 2.5" exhaust fitted on Saturday. Do I need to do anything after this to help the car adjust properly, eg, I have heard talk of people resetting their computers. It is an EL Ghia.

Mrs Pauly2 will be driving the car around all day on Monday so don't want it playing up on her.

Thanks

#2 ·
hey man, was reading the Lukey book 2day, and they say to reset the computer, i disconnect it then put brakes on so brake lights drain power out, then re-connect terminals, start car and hold at 2000-2500rpm for 10minutes. i thought this was a bit over the top...but friends have jus reset puter, then let the car idle for about 10minutes with the occasional hold at 2-3000rpm. besides this, i think thats all you have to do...

Cheers, id like to know more myself...

Rayos

#3 ·
Hey guys,

The AU computer reset procedure should be same as EL (both EEC-V) or even EEC-IV for that matter, and the procedure as per my AU workshop manual is as follows (assumes auto trans):

First clear the computer memory - Red_EB_S's brake pedal suggestion is a good idea but I'd leave it for 5 minutes too to be certain as I know some systems (like the SRS module) will still always retain power for 1-2mins after battery disconnect, which shouldn't affect EEC Keep-Alive-Memory, but you never know. Anyway, once you reconncet the battery, start the car and just let it idle (don't rev it) in the following sequence:

2 mins. with trans in Drive and A/C on.
2 mins. with trans in Drive and A/C off.
2 mins. with trans in Neutral and A/C on.
2 mins. with trans in Neutral and A/C off.
Then take the car out and actually drive it for at least 5 mins. (preferably with varying usage of the throttle IMHO).
Re-learn complete.

As a side-note: the main purpose of the computer re-learning and calibrating it's adaptive values in this way is primarily for idle control (the car is always adjusting it's 'running' adaptive values as you drive - which is why the car may still improve a bit over a couple of days/weeks even after this re-learn procedure), so I don't see that revving it higher than idle for 5-10 mins. while it's trying to learn would be beneficial.

Steve.

#7 ·
ahh sorry my bad, didn't mention that in ya post, but i can now see in ya sig.

Like he mentioned its primarily for idle control, so just by leaving your car in neutral it should do the same. I don't know why he'd put it in drive because you'd need to have ya foot on the brake or handbrake on so as to not go anywhere :eek:

I'm open to being corrected at any time :)

#8 ·
Steve_T said:
so I don't see that revving it higher than idle for 5-10 mins. while it's trying to learn would be beneficial.

Steve.
Yeah i didnt think it would do much good, besides waste our very precious $1/litre fuel!

would it be the same for the EB?manual? coz i have a prob with the air con, when im driving with the ac on, the car wants to stall!!!! and sometimes does! just sitting at lights it revs up to about 1200 then bak down to nearly dead and repeats itself a few times until the lights go green!

n e thoughts or does someone know y?

CHeers rayos

#10 ·
with ur exhaust after about 500kms of driving just check ur extractors as they may need to be tightened. and as far as reseting ur computer well i had the same exhaust set up and CAI done at the same time i had no need to re set my computer it runs fine.

#11 ·
Thanks heaps people. Think what I'll do is see how it's running once the exhaust is on. If it's idling bad I'll do what Steve_T suggested.

Either way I'll take MustangNicko's advice and give it a bit of a thrashing... since he says it is good for it :s6:

#13 ·
Quick update - got it fitted yesterday. Ended up doing the reset just for fun. Exhaust is all good. It drones around 2,500 rpms, but doesn't seem too nasty. Got a very sweet sounding idle :hy: so I won't be trying to fix the drone in a hurry, just in cases it messes up the idle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.