New Exhaust Ruling in NZ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 01:02   #1 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

New Exhaust Ruling in NZ

Whoops the beauracrats are at it again. Laws just passed in NZ now give police powers to "green sticker" cars that have exhausts that are too loud. Basically this means if your out cruising and the police "think" your car is too loud they give you a green sticker which cancels your warrant. They do not use decibel meters or any sound testing equipment to determine this, its simply on the the officers judgement. Also if you take your car for a warrant with a quote "non standard exhaust" its up to the tester to decide if its too loud. The draft copy I received from the LTSA on this ruling basically says "any car with a non standard exhaust will not be allowed a warrant". Also police can green sticker you for "boy racer activity" meaning if you gun your car away from the lights up to the speed limit that could be an "excessive use of speed or acceleration" which results in a green sticker.
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 01:08   #2 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

I think we are in trouble...

With no definition of what constitutes a loud exhaust, that's just wishy-washy law making....

A lot of people are going to get caught out...both XR owners and the ricers. Does lifters qualify as excessive noise?

I also saw that part about excessive acceleration...so what if you were doing it up a hill? Sounds rather silly... and possibly unenforceable

I wonder if its a case of the have-nots having a go at the haves...
Old 05-05-2003, 01:15   #3 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

specifically it says its ok to have a big bore as long as quote
"Its not louder that standard" Ok but
1. If its bigger its going to be louder.

2. How is an officer on the side of the road at 10pm on a rainy night supposed to know how loud my XF Ghia was standard?

3. If there is no measurable standard how can you enforce it?

4. The cost of replacing my $600 exhaust system is not going to be met by the Govt if it fails the next WOF is it???
Old 05-05-2003, 01:23   #4 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

I think we may see some kind of revolt against this pathetic new law.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

Slightly long...

This is from the LTSA site....

Assessing noise levels of modified exhaust systems
Situation

This Infosheet clarifies the inspection requirements for modified exhaust systems (reason for rejection number 9 in the Exhaust section of the Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual).

The Infosheet suggests an assessment method that may be used if you are presented with a vehicle for a Warrant of Fitness inspection and you suspect the vehicle’s exhaust system has been modified and is louder than it should be (see Clarification).

Please note: An amendment to the Land Transport Act 1998 that comes into force on 2 May 2003 includes, under section 96(1B), provision for the Police to ‘green-sticker’ a vehicle that has been impounded for unauthorised street racing. With the increased focus on street racer vehicles there is also likely to be an increase in the number 'green stickered' under section 115 of the Act, for vehicle defects. One of these defects may be a noisy modified exhaust system. A vehicle that has been ‘green-stickered’ under section 96(1B) or for a noisy exhaust may only be inspected for a new warrant by a vehicle inspector who is employed by a Transport Service Delivery (TSD) Agent (New Zealand Automobile Association Inc, On Road NZ Ltd, Vehicle Inspection New Zealand Ltd, or Vehicle Testing New Zealand Ltd).

Clarification
A vehicle’s exhaust system and silencer must be effective and in good working order (required by regulation 81 of the Traffic Regulations 1976). As stated in 11-1 of the Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual, a reason for rejection is if “the noise output is noticeably and significantly higher than should be expected for the vehicle.”

When the vehicle leaves the manufacturing plant it will have been fitted with an effective exhaust system and silencer. This is your point of reference for the performance of any replacement exhaust systems. A modified exhaust system should not make the vehicle louder than it would have been when the vehicle was manufactured with its original exhaust system.

Suggested assessment method
Increase the engine speed to about half the maximum permitted limit indicated on the vehicle’s tachometer (rev counter). This is the test speed. (A ‘red line’ on the tachometer usually shows the maximum permitted limit.)
Hold the engine at this test speed for about five seconds and then reduce to idling speed.
Follow this with a series of three or four short and sharp speed increases, from idle to test speed.
If the vehicle doesn’t have a tachometer use your judgement to determine the engine speed, but follow the same test sequence.

Action
If you suspect the vehicle’s exhaust system has been modified and the noise is louder than you’d expect from its original equipment, you should reject the vehicle.

Give the vehicle owner the LTSA leaflet “Your vehicle has failed its WoF because of a noisy exhaust” explaining why their vehicle has been rejected and what their options are for correcting the noisy exhaust.

Hmm, not good....
Old 05-05-2003, 01:39   #6 (permalink)

Bout bloody time, hope it comes in here in Queensland. Too many loud bastards cruising past my house at all bloody hours.

Good on 'em.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:44   #7 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

I certainly agree there is such a thing as "too bloody loud"
but there is also such a thing as louder but still ok and sounds bloody brilliant! The point is where is the line being drawn in the sand here???
Old 05-05-2003, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Oh shit! This is bull! Excessive noise? Excessive acceleration?

This is insane. Show me a modified exhaust that isn't quieter than the stock one. Our exhaust, along with all the others fitted to XR8s at our dealer over the last 2 and a half years, is a standard Coby big bore system. It's loud, incredibly beautiful, and now everyone that has bought this system has to change it? Same goes for the Herrods systems, these are all companies dammit!

Excessive acceleration? Sure, I can go with someone getting fined for leaving a couple of black marks and some smoke behind them, but otherwise, what the hell???

I don't want to drive a Hyandai Getz, but that's what the world is comming to.

I'm a 17 year old not making any sense but trying to get this out. Please excuse me.

Now where is Aussie Pete...
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:56   #9 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Re: Slightly long...

Quote:
LTSA
This is from the LTSA site....
As stated in 11-1 of the Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual, a reason for rejection is if “the noise output is noticeably and significantly higher than should be expected for the vehicle.”

When the vehicle leaves the manufacturing plant it will have been fitted with an effective exhaust system and silencer. This is your point of reference for the performance of any replacement exhaust systems. A modified exhaust system should not make the vehicle louder than it would have been when the vehicle was manufactured with its original exhaust system.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:13   #10 (permalink)

mad

Oh bloody hell! I'm sick of this f#ucking police state we live in!!! It's so stressful just driving around on the open road (speeding fines etc), & now we have to worry about our exhaust noise!! For Gods sake, I'm sick of it!

Are there any good roads in Fiji?
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust