Ford Forums banner

new exhaust, is it worth it.

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Mike Gayner 
#1 · (Edited)
today i went to an exhaust place to get my exhaust checked coz it's been making a weird noise latey when i exelerate. Turns out my cadi converter is rusted to the shit house, i have three or four holes thoughout the length of the exhaust and muffler.

the employie told me that i could get it replaced with an australian made sports exhaust (can't remember the brand) for $300. and if i wanted to i could get the howl thing done with pacemaker extractors for $730 with a two year warrenty.

plus he recons it will give my ea 15kw extra power, better fuel consumption and make it sound a howl lot better. are all these facts true, and is it worth it?

#3 ·
generally an exhaust will give all of what he said, 15kw can be a little over the top at times, it will deffinately sound 'meaner', should give better fuel economy and give a little more power, i'm yet to fit a better exhaust to my car but it will happen some time :p
shop around for some prices at other places and see how u go.

#9 ·
xtream ea said:
True Flow Exhausts in sunbury
sunbury huh..I know the place. They seemed alright when I had a chat to them ages ago.

You got any pics of your car? You might have seen me aroundt the place

#10 ·
i asked about a zorst just yesterday and they said (as i have my own stainless steel pipe already) that itll be $5 a bend and a stainless muffler for $140....now if i can only find a cheap set of extractors!! oh the cat will have to stay.

#11 ·
mine cost about $200 from memory and that was for just the tailpipe and tip fitted...

pissed off cos a cat back 2.5 wouldnt have cost all that much more comparitively for the difference it would make, at least to the sound..

#12 ·
Sunbury, round the corner from me, prob seen my EA then!!! me dad works in sunbury so its always there!
Have 2 check the place out, sounds alright

#16 ·
I'm assuming that the $730 price is including a new cat ( and the $300 one doesn't ). If your cat is rusted, you should really replace it. Odds are its hampering performance on its own, and apart from that it, if its truly stuffed then it could earn you a defect or fine :p

I'd give some other places a call to check out prices though.

What you do depends on how rich your feeling and your plans for the car. If your not going to keep it much longer (ie aiming to upgrade), I'd fix the overwhelming problems and leave the rest. If you want to keep it and plan future "upgrades" it might be worth doing the whole system.

#19 · (Edited)
Hi guys

I have been in the wholesale exhaust industry for a few years . You must get extractors if you want a performance exhaust, you can get many types of extractors, pacemakers are good as they are a bit thicker than others but they come at a price.
It depends on what you use you car for.. If its just for driving everyday and you want better range of performance and econamy and you dont need to buy Pacemakers.. We have these extractors made for about $95 a peace and sell to retailers for around $140..

You need to Use a high flow Cat( Redback are good) , 2 1/2" tube and straight through to a Turbo muffler wich must be placed at the BACK or it will drone. If you have it to far forward you will be very dissapionted.. I am no expert but i dont think the exhaust would cost much more than $250-300 fitted and $200-250 for extractors fitted. $475 for just a 2 1/2" system is way to much!! Lukey are ok but no better than many other brands.. Redback and berklee are just as good or better. Get another Quote!

This will give you 10- 15kw according to figures but in my experiance guys just want to hear the noise and put there foot down more to get a nice tone wich just makes them use more petrol and rev the engine higher than it needs.. If you think you need it go for it , I am 33 and have spent a fortune on cars in the last 15 years so "Is it worth it" NO! but that doesnt stop most people..

Peace

#21 ·
I paid $190 for a 2 1/2" Manderal Bent Cat back 18 months ago, sounds awesome, Rollin always wants to take it off, and put it on his car!!! Slowing down from about 90, throw it into second, it burbles and crackles, sounds sweet. Rollin always has a smile on his face when he is next to me

But if you plan to keep the car, go for the exhaust, if you are planning on an upgrade to a new falcon, at least do the extractors, as they will be interchangable!!!

#23 ·
Mike Gayner said:
davway - Ask your local exhaust or speed shop about Coby extractors, I got some myself for about $200, and thats here in NZ. Because they're Australian made you're probably looking at about $150.
ill look into that. they fit XFs i assume? anything that makes them stand out from other brands?

#24 ·
The price ;) And they're bright orange.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they will fit an XF. I didnt notice a massive power increase when I stuck them on, but let's be honest, you never do with extractors. The best thing about them was the hassle free install. Everything bolted straight up where it should be, the only hiccup was I had to undo the steering column uni joint to get them in, no problem at all really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.